Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daisyj

Über Member
As I said in another thread, I'm at the beginning of my journey to some level of fitness after a period of health problems. I'm riding a Trek Marlin 7 to build my strength and fitness. My longer term plan is to be able to go for some short tours. I've seen this Dawes listed for £195.00. I plan to learn maintenance skills so don't mind if I need to do a little work on it.

Ramblings over! Does £195 seem reasonable? Who still uses rim brakes for touring? Do they feel safe on a loaded bike?

Screenshot_20231007_092648_eBay.jpg

I'm at the beginning of my journey to some level of fitness after a period of health problems.
Excellent! Riding a bike is a great way to get fit and enjoy yourself while you're doing it!
My longer term plan is to be able to go for some short tours.
A great idea! I'm sure you know what you mean by a "tour" and "short" but those words can mean different things to different people.
There's absolutely no need to get hung up on terminology or definitions but I'm a firm believer that the best bike to tour on is the one we have. With a bit of experience under our belts, a better idea of what we enjoy (and don't) will help us make a better choice down the road.

The kind of touring I do now is a far, far cry from where I started off.

I've seen this Dawes listed for £195.00
I am not a bike expert but Dawes regularly comes up here as a popular bike to tour on with panniers.
I would be more concerned with any damage (especially to the frame) and the condition of the components (drivetrain, cassette, brake pads and cables, tyres etc.) Buying a bike like this that needs all those replaced could double the "real" price.
I'd also look at the rack to see if its suitable for loaded panniers. Something looks a little off.
Look also at gearing - realistically the number of teeth on the smallest front ring and the largest back ring. To me, this is the most important measurement because it tells me how easy (or not!) going up hills will be.

In fact, if you have a link to the bike, those better versed than me can offer better help.

However, if you're happy that the frame is undamaged and the components, or most of them, still have life then this attitude
I plan to learn maintenance skills so don't mind if I need to do a little work on it.
is perfect!

Understanding our bikes and being comfortable with minor repairs and maintenance saves money (for more trips) and gives confidence. "Learning" on an older bike, with older tech and a few scratches is physically and mentally easier than on a brand spanking new machine.

I'd also suggest that if you do buy this bike (or similar) that there's much more to learn than maintenance. Try doing as much as you can on it - errands, shopping etc. It will build confidence, especially with a load, in all weathers. Confidence is pretty important to enjoying our bike adventures, in my world.

Who still uses rim brakes for touring?
I do! ^_^
Do they feel safe on a loaded bike?
Yes, but they need to be maintained and adjusted. Sometimes, (very rarely) I have to stop on long, steep descents to let the rims and brakes cool down.

It's very, very easy to be swayed into thinking that we need the newest, the best technology. The fact of the matter is that people have been riding bikes around the world for decades. If Dervla Murphy can ride from Ireland to India in the 1960s or Anne Mustoe can ride around the world (without being able to fix a puncture!) in the 80s on bikes of their era then a fully functioning Dawes, like the one you describe, can too. ^_^

Also, an older, pre-loved bike can be psychologically easier to bring to strange places or park in less than ideal locations or throw up onto a train, truck, bus or car than a shiny, gleaming trend setter.

Best of luck to you!

Jameshow

Veteran
I think it will be great if it's in good nick, if it's been abused then you can easily sink another £100 in repairs to it so it's not so much a bargain.

If you can do stuff yourself that helps a lot!

Good morning,

I am not anti older style bikes, I am currently putting in the best part of 800 miles a month on this.
IMG_1953.JPG
and over the last year or so I have seen the prices of downtube and bar endshifters go up a lot.

Okay SJS are no discounters but https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters-bar-end-down-tube/ may frighten your bank balance,
sh.png

Bar end shifters are loved by many but not all, so if you decide they are not for you then it might be an expensive change, whether to STI or downtube.

If I ride this bike and I am not in a hurry I am really happy with D/T shifters, but I grew up with them, if I am in a hurry then I really miss the latest tech Di2 or even just plain old mechanical STI.:laugh:

Okay speed doesn't matter when touring, but STI is nice when you are in the wrong gear on a hill and in my mind buying a bike without STI nowadays is an informed choice rather than the obvious/normal/default choice.

If it were me I would hold out for something newer, for example this is near me for the same price
sh1.png
I don't know if it will take a rack but it just shows that more modern bikes are out there at the same sort of price.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could be good value or it could need a lot of replacement parts and adjustments, we just can't tell by looking at that poor quality picture.
All I can advise is ride it a bit and see if the gears shift okay and it stops in reasonable time. Do the wheels run true? Are the spokes tight?. Any play when you wiggle the cranks? Hold the front brake on and pull the bars to and fro, any play here means worn headset bearings. It looks a few years old, are the tyres cracked or perished? Any play in the hub bearings? Felt at the rim.
None of the above are deal breakers but a bargaining tool.
The bike featured by @IanSmithCSE is a better buy but you might not have one on offer nearby. It sounds like you're a newby so might not know what Sti, DT shifter, bar end shifter or Di2 might mean so perhaps he could explain. :smile:
Oh, and the no1 thing to check is does the seat post move in the frame when you loosen it? If not it's a lost cause.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Re size, sit on the saddle and put your foot on the pedal at six o'clock. Your leg should be straight, more or less, so adjust seat post to suit. 49 is a small size.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Re size, sit on the saddle and put your foot on the pedal at six o'clock. Your leg should be straight, more or less, so adjust seat post to suit. 49 is a small size.

Thank you.

Gillstay

Über Member
Food for thought, thanks everyone, really helpful. I asked for more pictures and have included a link here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16632595...wm0Kfb8RrO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY. I have reservations now I’ve seen more detail, so it’s likely I’ll keep looking. I’m little and finding the right size bike can take time. All your comments will help in my search.

The Dawes doesnt look worn out, but may need some parts. Parts of that era can often be bought S/H and are cheap. I doubt they will sell it at that price so it my well be worth keeping watch on it. I bought similar for £75 notes and it was a god deal so that may only make 100.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Dawes doesnt look worn out, but may need some parts. Parts of that era can often be bought S/H and are cheap. I doubt they will sell it at that price so it my well be worth keeping watch on it. I bought similar for £75 notes and it was a god deal so that may only make 100.
Certainly sounds like it was a 'god' deal at £75 @Gillstay . I hope got down on your knees and gave thanks ☺️

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member

Thanks, I will keep an eye.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Update........I bought it! For less than the asking price. It looks much better than in the photos. Full working order, no seized seatpost. I'm going to give it a really good clean, get it serviced and then learn how to do it myself. I'm also going to slap my honey Brooks B17 on it and matching bar tape. I'll need to practice somewhere flat to get used to the drops and down shifts. It's lighter than I expected and I'm really pleased 😄.
20231009_155426.jpg

Top Bottom