Dawes Giro Competition 300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlasgowAli

Hi all,
Not sure if this classifies as vintage or classic but I'll give it a bash.
I picked up this two-owner Dawes Giro locally in Glasgow yesterday for a great price. I wasn't really looking for another bike but couldn't resist.
It's a Dawes Giro Competition 300 from 1995-98 (I think). It has the full 3x7 RSX groupset, with the exception of the brake calipers which oddly (and surprisingly) are the very nice looking and great condition first generation black Dura-Ace jobs. They stop the bike okay, though I have some mid-90's 105 calipers which I'll likely swap them out for.
The 7-speed RSX brifters have been recently overhauled so are working perfectly. I know the groupset was very much entry-level in the mid 90's range (Sora equivalent?) but it works really well. I particularly like the sturdy mechanical feel of the shifters.
It's certainly not the lightest bike but it's lovely to ride. The mustard damage limitation paint has held up really well, it barely looks ridden.
Aside from the calipers and a slightly shorter stem, I'll leave it as is. I might even try and source some original RSX stickers (if they exist anywhere) to tidy up the groupset. Looking forward to putting some miles on it up here in Scotland over the summer. That 3x7 should get me over anything!
Cheers,
Ali

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Looks fabulous, I’m rather nosey so can I asked what you paid for the bike?

D

Deleted member 1258

Looks great. I had a Dawes Giro in the early 2000's, if I remember correctly it was 8 speed Sora.

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks both.
Dave R, that's a tough looking beast, I like it.
Spiderweb, I paid £120 (asking price on gumtree). Seemed very fair given the value of the calipers and the fact the seller had just spent £90 replacing various consumables.

Thats not a bad price these days. The interesting story about mine was that I saw it in the shop on a Friday afternoon, I'd punctured on my way to work and had nipped into John Atkins in Far Gosford st for an inner tube saw the bike and came out with a new bike and an inner tube, I think it was 2003, I replaced it with a Verenti Kilmeston in 2010.

Top Bottom