Dawes Kingpin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rafferty

I've just got hold of one of these bikes and want to modify it to suit the type of riding I do.
Has anyone changed the forks on one of these bikes, and if so, what did you use?
I don't want suspension.
Also, where can I obtain a longer seat post, preferably micro adjust, and a better handlebar stem?
I'll post pictures of the build as and when I acheive anything worthy of note.
Has anyone else modified one of these machines? This is the older steel model with chrome rims.
Cheers.

HovR

Über Member
What size (diameter and length) seatpost do you need? Maybe one from a Brompton/Dahon or similar will work?

And out of interest, why is it you want to change the forks?

Brommyboy

Über Member
A friend of mine acquired one like this and replaced all the chrome parts with aluminium: seat post, bars, wheel rims. He finds it rides well now. His has 405 mm rims, not the 452 mm ones.

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

What size (diameter and length) seatpost do you need? Maybe one from a Brompton/Dahon or similar will work?

And out of interest, why is it you want to change the forks?
Out of shape. They are ugly to start with, so if I've got to change them, I'd prefer something more aesthetically pleasing.
Does anyone know if the steerer on BMX forks are long enough? The wheels will be changed for 405mm which makes the drop for the brakes on the standard forks too great and
this is another reason I need to change them.

OP
OP
Rafferty

Rafferty

As I recall the seatpost on the older Kingpin was pretty long. Are you especially tall?
I want micro-adjust and alloy. The standard one is chromed steel and not micro-adjust.
These bikes are pretty heavy in standard trim, so I want to lighten it as much as I can.

Top Bottom