Dawes Shadow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I have just been given a Dawes Shadow which has been languishing in the back of someones garage for the past 20 years or more. As you would expect it is in poor condition though the frame is sound. Am I right in thinking this bike was what we now call 'entry level'. My intention at the moment is to service it and replace some missing parts and use it on my turbo, but I have a lot of bits & pieces in my parts box so I may use some to put it back on the road as a pub bike.

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you put up some pictures that would help us.

I think these were decent bikes that would make an excellent pub bike.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They are nothing special, but were good, sturdy first road bikes. Once given some TLC it will make a good runabout, or as you mentioned a good turbo bike. Probably wasted really just on the turbo.

Drago

Legendary Member
It depends on the year, but likely a Reynolds 500 frame, which is slightly upmarket plain gauge gas pipe, and low to lower-mid level componentry.

No reason why it couldn't make a decent enough, albeit not outstanding, bike to ride. I wouldn't be inclined to spend any more than new tyres, tubes and bar tape in doing so.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I got one of these about 15 years ago and converted it to fixed gear, which I then used for commuting, in which role it was ace. Rather stupidly I over tightened the head set and ended up cracking the head tube after a couple of years and I was really sad to see the bike go. It was a good do it all bike, I even did a 100 mile ride on it.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Here is a pic of the bike in question. I have had a look in my scrap box and there are enough parts to put the old girl back on the road without putting my hand too deep into my pocket.

IMG_0340.JPG

Top Bottom