Dawes Shadow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
Just been given this Dawes Shadow.
It looks like it should have a Huret rear mec not the SIS Shimano job , 10 speed chrome rims on 27inch wheel's . No idea what I'm going to do with it, add it to my pile of " might do something with it in the future" collection.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_140546.jpg
    IMG_20230922_140546.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20230922_140604.jpg
    IMG_20230922_140604.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 51

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@ren531 looks like it will clean up nicely just needs a set of alloy rims

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got one. It's my turbo bike. I replaced the drive train as I wanted lower gears, which may be the reason the owner has done this. It was my main bike for a while and quite comfy but a bit of a lump. I replaced many bits, not least those slippery chrome rimmed wheels. And that necessitated putting some longer reach brakes on.

Not so long ago I spread the frame so it would fit on my direct drive turbo.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice to get something for free but on the other hand it's bit of a 'poisoned chalice ', you've got to spend money if you want to get it into road going shape unless spend the bare minimum to get it safe and sell it as is. Likely the tyres are perished, that's probably all you'd need to do.
I think @biggs682 has a tip for cheap 27inchers.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Some years ago, I was given a 1981 Dawes Fox. Spent some cash on it; new rims & drivetrain etc., but now it's my 'sports bike' and a delight to ride - ! :okay:

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Definitely needs alloy rims, the frame is very rusty , but for a pretend race bike it's got chunky tyres and relaxed geometry perhaps more of a pretend tourer 23.5 inch frame so just about big enough. I have a few bikes lined up waiting attention, but I do really enjoy going into my workshop looking around knowing there taking no harm and are stored up fun for later, it's a nice feeling.

Top Bottom