Dawes Stratos 531 Road Bike - she's a big 'un!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've decided to sell this bike as TBH I'm just not using my bikes enough at the moment :sad:

She is a Dawes Stratos from 1993 with Reynolds 531 frameset and full Shimano 105 drivetrain.

The frame size is 64cm from BB centre to top of seat tube. FWIW I'm 6' 5" and with the seat post as shown it's perfect.

I bought it late last year in perfectly decent running order, but then decided to do a full sympathetic restoration on it anyway for my own peace of mind.

So from front to back I carried out all the following to ensure many more years riding pleasure;

• The bike was totally stripped down, cleaned, touched up where necessary and has been waxoyled internally throughout the frame and forks.
  • Bars were stripped and cleaned and re-taped with new black bartape.
  • Retro 105 aero levers were sourced to replace the dodgy old STi's someone had fitted. I chose these for originality whilst allowing under tape cable routing.
  • New headset installed.
  • The stem was rubbed down and re-sprayed in black to freshen it up.
  • New Shimano QR skewers have been fitted, (not shown).
  • Gatorskin tyres added with new inner tubes.
  • 105 Aero shifters sourced, (again to replace dodgy old STi's).
  • New bottle cages fitted.
  • Seat post has been sprayed black to match original stem, (see catalgoue pic below).
  • Brand new Tiagra calipers fitted to replace worn out 105 ones.
  • Brand new 7 speed cassette installed.
  • Brand new KMC chain fitted.
  • Wheels were cleaned and checked, bearings run smooth and wheels are straight and true.
  • Front and rear mechs stripped down, de-greased and re-built.
  • Chainset stripped, de-greased and re-fitted with brand new Shimano cartridge BB
  • New cables throughout.
  • Crud Road Racer guards fitted for winter duties.
  • Saddle is changed from these pics, it now has a white Specialized saddle fitted with a new seatpost bolt.
The bike rides like a dream, but I just don't have the time to enjoy it.
I've done very few miles since it was refurbed and everything is in perfect working order, the bike needs nothing done to it at all.
I'm asking for OIRO £250 as I really can't see you could buy a better bike for the money.
Collection preferred from Boton BL1, but I could box it up if you want to arrange a courier.

IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1628.JPG IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1632.JPG IMG_1633.JPG

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
A bit too big for me or I'd definitely take it out of your hands. Not that I'm in the market for a new bike but loved your bike ^_^

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
FYI - this bike will also be getting advertised elsewhere as well from later today, so please PM me a.s.a.p. if you are interested

Any trial welcome :thumbsup:

[EDIT] I'll try and get an upto date pic up as well later. The only differences are the saddle and the skewers really TBH.

Top Bottom