Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
How about a picture of you riding it?

I wouldn't want to inflict such an horrific sight on you :smile:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
I refuse to wear lycra, my bikesters are figure hugging enough. So I will never aspire to the girls in lycra thread I'm afraid xx(

How exactly does one propose I get a photo of myself riding my bike anyway? It'd be quite difficult taking one myself I'd have thought. My partner is away till Sunday and I think he would be quite concerenced at my explanation that I want him to take a photo of me to put on Cyclechat for a bunch of pervy old men :ohmy:, and I couldn't possibly ask my friends as they would take the p*ss out of me for the rest of my life. They've already got a photo of me sleeping under my desk :tongue:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Full marks for trying. I could put a non cycling picture of me up for a little while, unless you'd all really prefer a fully loaded, accessory packed Dawes Galaxy, minus of course the owner. I don't have a timer on my phone. Oooh, actually I have some pictures of Firemen cutting up a car?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, no picture of my goodself actually riding the bike, but I remembered to take a pic of it fully kitted out when I was at the parents this weekend (Did I say I managed to do 13.47 miles in 35:58 with an average speed of 22mph? :tongue:).
On the whole, despite the initial problems I've had with the gears (I suspect if Evans did a proper job of it in the first place......), I'm absolutely delighted with this bike. It's a pleasure to cycle and the panniers are a revelation!
Dawes

gkilner

Plax said:
I've just flicked through Cyclecraft and it says you should be able to put your elbow at the end of the saddle and just about touch the handlebars with the tips of your fingers. Unfortunately I fall short of this by nearly an inch.

I've read this in a few places, however I've always read it as 'your finger tips should be able to just reach the stem' - not the actual bars.

I can just reach the stem on my bike, but I'm a long way from the actual bar.

LondonCommuter

I've now ordered a Dawes Galaxy (budget didn't stretch to either of the fancier models) which I hope will arrive mid-week. Any advice based on your experience so far about running it in?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
LondonCommuter said:
I've now ordered a Dawes Galaxy (budget didn't stretch to either of the fancier models) which I hope will arrive mid-week. Any advice based on your experience so far about running it in?

Get it set up properly is a big one. Make sure you're happy with the brakes and gears. I took mine to the LBS in the end and they set it up fine for me. Evans basically just threw it in the box I think! If it has problems shifting down to the granny cog, then it could be the mudguard getting in the way of the front mech (apparently was the problem with mine).

Play with the seat height and handlebar angle too. To begin with I had the seat sloping too far down and the handlebars too far back as I felt I was stretching too far to reach the brakes to begin with. Had it like this for about a week. Handlebars are now at a straighter angle and my seat is further back on the post and straighter.

If you're not used to drops then go on a few little mini rides to begin with to get used to them. I did this before commuting into work, just to make sure I was happy with reaching for the brakes etc.

Other than that there wasn't really that much of a breaking in period. If the brakes and gears are set up properly to begin with you shouldn't have any problems at all. The only think you'll probably have to do is just tighten the adjustor barrel after a few weeks as the gear cable tends to stretch when new, same probably with the brakes.

Top Bottom