Day out in Exeter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If all goes to plan, I'll be meeting up with a friend next week in Exeter - the first visit to the city for us both. No bikes, alas, just looking for some suggestions about things to do / see and maybe a decent cafe or two that serves a decent cuppa and something to eat?

My mother used to live in Exeter so I knew the city quite well.

The quayside is a popular place for restaurants and pubs, and has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2820

It's only a few minutes walk from the high street.

Also, my favourite bike shop in Exeter - the Bike Shed (on the way to the quay from the high street) http://www.bikesheduk.com/exeter-store is worth a quick look.

Enjoy yourselves.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Cathedral (where I used to sing) and the area around Cathedral green including Southernhay. Mols coffee house and the Ship Inn.
The quayside as Dayvo said, nice walks around too, where 'The Onedin Line' used to be filmed. The Prospect Inn used to be good for a pint there. Walking from the Cathedral downhill past the entrance to the Chapter House and the main Cathedral School brings you to South street, crossing here takes you further downhill to the Custom House on the quay past the old Roman city wall.
There are also some interesting underground passages where they do a tour sometimes.
Unfortunately any character of the shopping area has been destroyed and replaced by an imitation of Basingstoke.

Peteaud

Veteran
@coffeejo

Me and Aud have been in Exeter all day today.

A good cafe is the one by the Quay, its called lesters (or something similar) it is the one in the middle next to the hairdressers. very very good cream teas :hungry:.

Although most of the cafes on the quay are very good. Its only a 5 min walk from the Bike Shed as well ^_^

If you want food, the all day chinese buffet at the bottom of the high street is good.

Top Bottom