Day trip in North France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
User259iroloboy said:
He's coming back though? :ohmy: Right.:blush: then he'll read my reply and want to go back to visit Dieppe. :smile:

Quite right :smile: :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply, I will investigate that. This trip was really just a quick exploratory trip to see how easy the driveing etc was as we have an old caravan, and live only an Hour from Dover.
We're definately going to spend more time over there, seems a shame not to make use of our proximity and our last 3 Years family UK camping holidays have been spolit by the weather so why not head South?

Anyway, the day trip went quite well. I found the driving tiring as I haven't done it for some 18 Years.
Also, the snag with going on a Sunday is that absolutely everything is closed. The weak pound also meant that cafes were quite expensive.

We started at Montreuil, we just went straight down the A16 as I wanted to build some confidence driving before tackling too much traffic but came back on the coast road, stopping at two seaside towns on the way back (can't remember the names, one I think was the one that those funny looking dogs are named after.)
Anyway, although the weather was a bit ropey, we spent some time on the very impressive sandy beaches.
Montreuil was lovely, we had a walk along the ramparts and then followed a route alonside a stunning looking river.

The French parking was a real eye opener, they just abandon their cars anywhere! just so long as it's on a footpath.....

Anyway, a couple of piccies.....

IphoneAugust2009184.jpg

IphoneAugust2009168.jpg

IphoneAugust2009199.jpg

I've been thinking about a day trip to France - Dover/Calais - but haven't had maps quite good enough to do the ride. Today arrived in the post the very best cycling map for the Nord Pas de Calais region of France - IGN Tourisme et Decouverte Map 101. The scale is 1:100 000 which is 1cm = 1km and is in sufficient detail to be really helpful to cyclists.

Go to Amazon for copies.:smile:

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Good stuff, thanks for the heads up :smile:

There were a lot of cyclists crossing when we went, unfortunately I didn't get chance to ask anyone how easy it was but they basically rode on, then rode off before any of the cars boarded so it seems cyclists are well catered for.

Top Bottom