Daylight Lamp or Bulb for Art & Crafts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem at this time of year is that there's very little good daylight - which is a right pain when it comes to artwork. Drawing (pencil or pen & ink) is fine, but anything to do with colour is almost impossible outside of a very narrow window in the middle of the day. Which is a pain if you're busy.

So I'm seriously thinking about a daylight lamp - or a daylight bulb that's compatible with a basic desk light.

Am wondering if any of you bods on here who do modelling, sewing or who also paint use a daylight lamp, and if so, what would you recommend.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife will pop on the Maplin daylight lamp in winter for her sewing. She does mainly use the conservatory where possible , for maximum light.

At least with a stand alone 'light box' you can use it else where - I used it whilst stuck in with my spinal injury - our lounge is quite dark.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Thanks for the useful info, folks :okay:

I think I'll start as @sleuthey suggests and just buy a bulb as I already have a spare desk light that I can use.

Another thing I should have asked is what wattage to get... :scratch:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks for the useful info, folks :okay:

I think I'll start as @sleuthey suggests and just buy a bulb as I already have a spare desk light that I can use.

Another thing I should have asked is what wattage to get... :scratch:
I would get the largest wattage bulb that your light fitting is rated for. Don't go over that limit. You don't want to overheat it.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I would get the largest wattage bulb that your light fitting is rated for. Don't go over that limit. You don't want to overheat it.

That makes sense. It's just that I don't know what it's rated for. :laugh:

The lamp is one of those bendy stalk lights - bought from Woolies, so shows you how long I've had it... :whistle:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Mrs L does a lot of work with fabrics, dyes & paints, and is very keen on a brand of daylight lamps called Ottlite. They have a colour temp of 5000 K.

Not sure if they're any better than getting a generic 5000K bulb from Amazon and sticking it in any old desk lamp.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Update - it's 40 watts.

There's a sticker on the inside of the shade with that info. Silly Reynard. :blush:
I'm not young but even when I was, I used an Anglepoise for close up work. I fitted it with a 100 watt incandescent bulb that put out about 1600 lumens. I suggest you try and attain the same number of lumens. With LEDs etc you can get that with a bulb of a lot less wattage. The problem tends to be finding one.

Edit: I think it was only rated for 60 watts, but I ignored that.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I bought a proper craft light when they were on offer at Hobbycraft - can't remember the brand but I can check.

Shortly after one of my normal room light bulbs failed & I went to Wilko to replace it. I discovered that the ones available were excellent with nice white light. Technology had moved on since I last bought energy efficient bulbs. So I've rarely used my craft lamp. I'd say try out some of the normal off-the-shelf bulbs available before buying expensive ones.

Top Bottom