Dayvo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh! Not OUR Dayvo then...

"Mr Cameron was caught on camera last year going through a red light without his cycle helmet on. "

oooh, naughty boy, rlj AND not wearing a helmet. Like it would have been ok to rlj if he had been wearing one...

No seriously, if he jumped a red, he should get a fine like anyone else. As for that statement, "cycling in London is tricky", so that makes it Ok to break the law does it?

davidtq

Might be a commons vs lords dust up over this one when the barroness hears about it :biggrin:

Also goes to make the point about what RLJ'ing does for cycling in general :ohmy:

Pete

I think his problem is that he does not take cycling seriously. It is posturing, getting the press photos in (look at the photo accompanying the article. Obviously posed, for the benefit of the media). So, when he gets on a bike, he allows himself to descend to the social level where he thinks most cyclists are positioned - uncivilised, rebellious, beyond the normal rules of society.

Whereas we, the serious and disciplined cyclists*, think otherwise....

Ignore him. He's an irrelevance.

*I make an exception, of course, of some folks on the forum!

Tynan

Veteran
garbage

and Blair gets to go to work with two huge armoured limos and a dozen security types

'"Doesn't the Road Traffic Act apply to you?"

yeah right

Tynan

Veteran
'got to'

there was a piss taking photo in the paper once, it was like a circus coming into town

domtyler

Über Member
He was right to go through the light. It would not be safe for him to stop for too long in one spot.

Maz

Guru
I don't agree with Pete. Cameron tries to do the right thing by cycling - some will accuse him of political gesturing. If he drives to work they'll have a go at him for not being greener. A case of damned if you do, damned if you dont.

if he jumped a red light, he's made a mistake. we all make mistakes..

MartinC

Über Member
I think this is wonderful! Really. If he was posturing this is totally the wrong and politically incorrect way to do it. Having a high profile, leader of the Tory party taking the p**s out of Daily Mail readers like this is priceless. At a stroke the whole cycling community is now on the reasonable, responsible, lets all use the roads sensibly side of the argument. What a wonderful gift - motorists don't need to worry about about getting us guys off the road - they'll have to start with the leader of the Tory party.

Keith Oates

Janner
The fact that Cameron uses a bike is a plus I think and something that more high profile people could do to raise public awareness of cycling. I'm puzzled how someone wearing a suit can be called a 'lycra lout'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abitrary

I'm sure the stock photo in the mirror today showed him on a raleigh, and he's on a giant in that one.

If I was shadow leader, I'd blag some sponsorship

Pete

I'm very cynical about the concept of the 'bicycling politician'. Maybe my scepticism goes back to the days of Quintin Hogg (aka lord Hailsham - anyone remember him?). I just smell insincerity. If I'm being unfair to say this - so be it.

As for RLJ-ing - well I don't believe anyone does it 'by mistake'. At least, not habitually and without apology. For most RLJers, this is a deliberate act, whether through ignorance of, or contempt for, the law. Neither of which is a defence against prosecution.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
Hasn't it been widely reported that he cycles to work, with a car carrying his papers and clothes following behind?

Yes. He's not a cyclist, he's a POB (Politician on Bike);)

Top Bottom