Deaf/Blind on a Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am partially sighted and hard of hearing (I wear hearing aids). My hubby and I took delivery of a tandem today and need advice on how best to communicate.

I assume I will be best off leaving my aids out due to sweat, rain and possibly being uncomfortable with a cycle hemet on (private aids so not cheap either) and as a VI person I can't rely on hand gestures from my hubby so we are thinking about some kind of communication device (I can hear music etc. through in ear headphones so am not completely deaf).

Any recommendations/advice appreciated.

What about some kind of walkie talkie system ?
One that can mount onto the bars.
I will look into that for you .
leave it with me.

Ok I have found a company called Precisiontandems,who make an intercom system.
I'm sorry,I don't know how to provide a link so I can give you the name.
www.precisiontandems.com
It's in America,but I hope it helps you.
Better still,I hope the idea might give you an idea as to research tandem intercoms based in Britain ^_^:thumbsup:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
These guys in Coventry are well worth contacting.

small_vista_125_4.png

Coventry Visually Impaired and Sighted Tandem Association

http://www.vista.org.uk/home

Surely some hand signals as there's only 3 things he'll ever need to say:

1. Are you still pedalling?
2. Can we stop for lunch?
3. Can we stop for a pint?

Then a simple system of slaps and punches back again should make you feelings known.

OP
OP
GoodbyeGirl

GoodbyeGirl

What about some kind of walkie talkie system ?
One that can mount onto the bars.
I will look into that for you .
leave it with me.

A walkie talkie system is what we were thinking of. Had a look of the net last night but was hoping that I could find someone in a similar position to myself who could give first hand advice.

Ok I have found a company called Precisiontandems,who make an intercom system.
I'm sorry,I don't know how to provide a link so I can give you the name.
www.precisiontandems.com
It's in America,but I hope it helps you.
Better still,I hope the idea might give you an idea as to research tandem intercoms based in Britain ^_^:thumbsup:
Thanks.

Ask on here http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/ , (no need to register), contains the most tandem based knowledge of any website I've seen :okay:
Contacted them. Thanks.

Dunno whereabouts in the country you are, but these guys

http://www.bury-tandem-club.org

Are brilliant.

Northumberland, husband originally from Bury though!

Don't motorbikes have systems for under the helmet's?
My husband has one and yes, they fit inside the helmet next to ear so no good for a cycle helmet.

These guys in Coventry are well worth contacting.

small_vista_125_4.png

Coventry Visually Impaired and Sighted Tandem Association

http://www.vista.org.uk/home
Will do, thanks.

Surely some hand signals as there's only 3 things he'll ever need to say:

1. Are you still pedalling?
2. Can we stop for lunch?
3. Can we stop for a pint?

Then a simple system of slaps and punches back again should make you feelings known.

I prefer to use non contact reactions, he can't tell if I am reacting and I get great satisfaction from them!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
As you're local you could try contacting Vi Ability in Newcastle. They're a youth group for visually impaired and one of their regular activities is tandem cycling. Might not be able to help with the hearing issues but could have some useful contacts. It's organised by a lovely chap :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Unlike anybody else who's contributed, I have NOTHING useful/creative/sensible to add.

Except - have a barrel-load of fun ....... and keep us posted! :smile:

Riding a tandem always provides the above in abundance thats for sure

Still cant really understand why you cant use normal hearing aids @annedonnelly ?

there must be loads of people who are hard of hearing who cycle with them in

OP
OP
GoodbyeGirl

GoodbyeGirl

As you're local you could try contacting Vi Ability in Newcastle. They're a youth group for visually impaired and one of their regular activities is tandem cycling. Might not be able to help with the hearing issues but could have some useful contacts. It's organised by a lovely chap :smile:

f you spot two tandem newbits riding around the South Beach area sometime over the weekend that will be us!

Riding a tandem always provides the above in abundance thats for sure

Still cant really understand why you cant use normal hearing aids @annedonnelly ?

there must be loads of people who are hard of hearing who cycle with them in

Despite what the hearing community may think, hearing aids don't make hard of hearing/deaf people hear perfectly again so dealing with all of the outside noise will most probably make me struggle to hear him up front as well as the other possibilities that I have already mentioned. My aids were certainly not cheap so would hate to damage them.

Top Bottom