1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deaf/Blind on a Tandem

Discussion in 'Adaptive and Disabled Cycling' started by GoodbyeGirl, 27 Jul 2016.

1. I am partially sighted and hard of hearing (I wear hearing aids). My hubby and I took delivery of a tandem today and need advice on how best to communicate.

I assume I will be best off leaving my aids out due to sweat, rain and possibly being uncomfortable with a cycle hemet on (private aids so not cheap either) and as a VI person I can't rely on hand gestures from my hubby so we are thinking about some kind of communication device (I can hear music etc. through in ear headphones so am not completely deaf).

Any recommendations/advice appreciated.

biggs682 likes this.
  2. MarquisMatsugae

MarquisMatsugae I'm a Germophobe...believe me

What about some kind of walkie talkie system ?
    One that can mount onto the bars.
    I will look into that for you .
    leave it with me.

Saluki likes this.
  3. MarquisMatsugae

MarquisMatsugae I'm a Germophobe...believe me

Ok I have found a company called Precisiontandems,who make an intercom system.
    I'm sorry,I don't know how to provide a link so I can give you the name.
    www.precisiontandems.com
    It's in America,but I hope it helps you.
    Better still,I hope the idea might give you an idea as to research tandem intercoms based in Britain ^_^:thumbsup:

4. Alex H

Alex H Veteran

5. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

6. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

@kimble occasionally pops in hear and has lots of experience in such matters.

7. Tiger10

Tiger10 Active Member

Don't motorbikes have systems for under the helmet's?

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

They do, but they generally bolt to the helmet.

9. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

These guys in Coventry are well worth contacting.

small_vista_125_4.png

Coventry Visually Impaired and Sighted Tandem Association

http://www.vista.org.uk/home

raleighnut likes this.
  10. Surely some hand signals as there's only 3 things he'll ever need to say:

1. Are you still pedalling?
    2. Can we stop for lunch?
    3. Can we stop for a pint?

Then a simple system of slaps and punches back again should make you feelings known.

Stephenite and Saluki like this.
  11. When we are on our motorbike, Jannie thinks it is dangerous to travel over 80mph, but doesnt think it dangerous to whack me round the back of the helmet, without warning, if I exceed that speed.

Maybe this is something you can adapt.

raleighnut, Mister Paul and Markymark like this.
  12. A walkie talkie system is what we were thinking of. Had a look of the net last night but was hoping that I could find someone in a similar position to myself who could give first hand advice.

Thanks.

Contacted them. Thanks.

Northumberland, husband originally from Bury though!

My husband has one and yes, they fit inside the helmet next to ear so no good for a cycle helmet.

Will do, thanks.

I prefer to use non contact reactions, he can't tell if I am reacting and I get great satisfaction from them!

Markymark likes this.
  13. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

As you're local you could try contacting Vi Ability in Newcastle. They're a youth group for visually impaired and one of their regular activities is tandem cycling. Might not be able to help with the hearing issues but could have some useful contacts. It's organised by a lovely chap :smile:

14. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Veteran

Unlike anybody else who's contributed, I have NOTHING useful/creative/sensible to add.

Except - have a barrel-load of fun ....... and keep us posted! :smile:

15. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Riding a tandem always provides the above in abundance thats for sure

Still cant really understand why you cant use normal hearing aids @annedonnelly ?

there must be loads of people who are hard of hearing who cycle with them in