Deal Extreme - Order cancelled months on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Late last year I tried to get one of the Cree XML-T6 lights from DX, the order went unfufilled for some weeks then I eventually cancelled it and got a full refund.

Last week I had an email from Paypal saying my account had been limited, checked the account and all seemed well so imagined it to be just over zealous. Then I found an email from DX today that arrived a few days after the Paypal one stating the Cree order was cancelled?

All seems a little dodgy, as if the original order has somehow resurrected itself and tried to go through again but Paypal (thankfully) blocked the transaction. Checking DX shows the order been cancelled and refunded last year, then 1 item of activity last week stating the order is cancelled (again)?

Anyway, if you've used DX or are thinking of, maybe worth keeping a closer eye on the transaction.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would double check that this is not a coincidence. The paypal email, check it is not a phishing email. I hope when you saw the email you logged onto paypal from your browser by typing in the URL and didnt follow any links in the email?

1st things to check in a paypal email, do they address you by name? What is the senders email address? It should end in .co.uk. I understand paypal have a .com URL but the emails regarding specific accounts of UK users should come from .co.uk. I have been told this personally on the phone by paypal staff.

If in doubt:
  1. Forward the entire email to spoof@paypal.com.
  2. Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
You will recieve an email shortly afterwards to confirm the status of the email.

Notice the email address you need to send it to is .com! That is how these spoofs manage to be so convincing, they mask the sent from line with a paypal.com address, which seems legit since paypal do indeed use .com addresses for emails, just not when addressing you about your account, in these circumstances they will email from a .co.uk address.

*If anything I have said is wrong, I am just advising based on what a paypal rep told me personally.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru

Everything you said:thumbsup:

Forwarded the mail anyway as its better to be safe than sorry, it was from service@paypal.co.uk so not a a .com address.

Went over the DX order again and it seems the original order, although refunded, never actually truly had a status of 'cancelled' just payment refunded when it changed to status 'unfulfilled'. Why on earth they/it tries to complete it 9 months on I don't know.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You could also hover over any links view the destination URL to see if they look legit, or you can right click them and do "copy url" or "copy link locations" or whatever the equivalent is in your browser, then paste to notepad to read it.

The DX thing seems like a legit fark up, but the paypal thing, I dont see any reason you would be told the account has been restricted, that's a classic phishing scam. "Dear valued customer, some recent activity on your account seems abnormal so we have limited your account, please log in below to fix the issue"

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru

With PP I wasn't online for a few days so when I did next log back into PP I could not see any restriction, my suspicions are up but I didnt follow any links on that email so dont particularly feel too worried (touch wood!).

DX is a bit odd, I had my doubts about their site as it is (or was - it had improved when I logged in last night) a very strangely designed website that didnt navigate like a normal shop, and most things I looked at were non-brand copies of other items.

I'd like to think my PP is secure as IMO they are the most secure and convenient (as a buyer) online, I know that sellers have issues with the fees charged (and potential for claims weeks/months after the purchase) but as a buyer I think its pretty good.

Broadside

Guru
Same happened to me, I ordered the same light in Dec, it got delivered then went faulty. Waited 3 weeks for the replacement the asked them to just cancel the whole order. They did this and refunded the amount then just last week it got an order cancellation email from DX.

I think they are tidying up some order statuses which never got cleared down properly before. No activity on my Paypal account either.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
<SNIP>

I think they are tidying up some order statuses which never got cleared down properly before. No activity on my Paypal account either.

I agree. I think its just coincidence that I got the PP email at about the same time as their website changed to fully cancelled.

Nice. Similiar to what I eventually got but they are T5 versions ( i bought two). Sadly one has just broken and whilst I try to contact the seller on ebay I've ordered another, if one of those goes I'll consider going for something completely different.

ohnovino

Large Member
Having used DX a few times, I only recently realised that it's really more of a marketplace than a shop. They seem to take orders and pass them on to the suppliers, and don't hold the stock themselves - if you scroll down on any listing to just below "Discussions" you'll see grey writing that says "Listed by Supplier:" and the name of the company who make it. So it wouldn't at all surprise me if there's been a mis-communication between DX and the supplier.

BTW on the email thing: the "from" address on an email means nothing as it can be easily spoofed. Rob3rt's spot on about not clicking links in any PayPal emails and instead typing the URL yourself.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Having used DX a few times, I only recently realised that it's really more of a marketplace than a shop. They seem to take orders and pass them on to the suppliers, and don't hold the stock themselves - if you scroll down on any listing to just below "Discussions" you'll see grey writing that says "Listed by Supplier:" and the name of the company who make it. So it wouldn't at all surprise me if there's been a mis-communication between DX and the supplier.

BTW on the email thing: the "from" address on an email means nothing as it can be easily spoofed. Rob3rt's spot on about not clicking links in any PayPal emails and instead typing the URL yourself.

Yup, it can be spoofed and that's exactly what they are doing even if its .com.

My point is more so that spoofers tend not to be as clever as one might assume (plus they are playing the numbers game and spamming thousands of email addresses) and they tend to assume that paypal email people (about specific accounts) with .com which they may in some countries, but not in the UK. So if you get an email about your account that is from even a legitimate email address used by paypal that ends in .com and you are UK based then you can be pretty much certain immediately that it's been spoofed because only generic paypal emails come from .com, nothing account specific.

Top Bottom