Dealing with rust spots on paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have owned a Raleigh Grand Sports for a couple of years, and enjoyed riding it as a singlespeed.

My plan now is to deal with the rust spots before building it into a drop bar road bike.

Here's the problem:

How can I best stabilise and hide, or eliminate these spots?

Thanks in advance.

Drago

Legendary Member
Barkeepers friend. Has a mild oxalic acid content and won't harm the paint.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I've just used fine wire wool and Kurust over the years on my old Dawes bike [a tin of rust converter of my old dad's, that I've had since I was a lad- might still be able to get it], which uses a mild acid to convert rust to black ferric hydroxide [can't remember exactly]. You have to clean off and touch up the pin marks with paint as soon as the kurust has worked its magic!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've just used fine wire wool and Kurust over the years on my old Dawes bike [a tin of rust converter of my old dad's, that I've had since I was a lad- might still be able to get it], which uses a mild acid to convert rust to black ferric hydroxide [can't remember exactly]. You have to clean off and touch up the pin marks with paint as soon as the kurust has worked its magic!
A tenner in Halfords so I guess Wilko, Wickes, etc. will stock it too... got a similar problem to the OP on my nickel plated frame and forks, so this looks like exactly what i need. :okay:

midlife

Guru
On nickel and chrome it might be best to use aluminium foil, rust is turned back to metal which. Or oxylic acid which does the same thing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Touching in the rust spots with paint after the rust treatment is going to drive you bonkers and might look a bit odd when done as the spots look to be everywher. Have you considered a cheap powder coat job and replacement decals from H Lloyd?

Reactions: C R

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Or spray it with clear varnish to keep the patina look.

Top Bottom