Dear Blacked out 4x4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry if I distracted you when you left hooked me, maybe the Hi Vis startled you. I hope you realise there was another cyclist just in front of me and 0.5m to my left, he certainly noticed you as you almost went into the side of him. I guess you didn't as you kept on going. Fortunately it was dry and he was able to quickly come to an emergency stop.

Alan Whicker

Are blacked out windows even legal? Mind you, it's a pretty good warning sign that it's a vehicle driven by an idiot and best avoided.

Eoin Rua

Front and side front windows must allow 70% of light through, but all others can be blacked to whatever level...but I concur, any car with tinted windows is in my humble opinion usually driven by a moron and I'd be wary of them!

edit: Was this in Edinburgh HLab? If so, whereabouts?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Must be nutters day in Edinburgh. First close encounter in absolutely ages for me tonight - I was going along Stenhouse Drive and took primary as the road ahead gets too narrow for a safe overtake. A people carrier decides to overtake me and suddenly realises that the road is narrowing and there's traffic coming the other way, so he pulls in on me. With inches between my bars and the passenger window, I start yelling "TOO CLOSE!! TOO CLOSE!!" in a panic. Without giving me any more room, the passenger window rolls down. I yell "YOU'RE TOO CLOSE!" and the female passenger politey tells me I should be on the off-road cycle lane! Unbelievable. Let's not move away to a safe distance - just try and put the cyclist you're still endangering in his place. Whilst they were slowing to continue this lecture, I took the chance to floor it and get out and in front of them, away from danger. I got the horn blasting away behind me, so they got a finger and left for dust.

Funny how little acceleration these heavy vehicles have, and how much I had through a combination of pumping adrenaline and a stiff tail-wind!

Eoin Rua

Nutters day continued...

Pulling up to the junction of Dalry/Gorgie (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=...d=k6wJK_nMOs4Wkh5Bd5dWLg&cbp=12,219.23,,0,6.3)...was in the cycle lane but moved over into the right lane - with a blue Saxo well behind me. 3 cars at the lights so I'm slowing up behind a silver Golf when the blue Saxo swerves around me (on my right side) and brakes sharply, bumping into the Golf. I mouth that he is, in no uncertain terms, an effin' idiot. He apologises to Golf driver, and while they sort out their differences I move round them and continue through...further down the road, line of traffic and Saxo pulls up beside me and I repeatedly shake my head - he seems to insinuate that it was all my fault, even when he did a dumbass move and ended up hitting another car! He was a scally looking cretin anyway!

Jezston

Über Member
Seems like they were all out last night. Was it a full moon or something? Had two dangerously close passes in one journey through Derby last night when my usual rate is about one every two weeks, and a couple of tossers in some weird modified VW pickup truck thing (looked VERY gay) revving their engine behind me at some traffic lights.

Every day on my route home I go past this little joining lane:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...1hly_9mNKDyai7wgkmduqA&cbp=12,293.45,,0,16.11

And every time, without fail, people will always wait patiently for me to pass, keeping their eyes out without moving forwards. That all changed last night. Dickhead in a 90's BMW decided, despite clocking me, that he couldn't be bothered to wait 2 seconds for me to pass and decided to pull out when I was right next to him. Absolute ****ing ****.

Top Bottom