Dear Mr 4x4...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd like to apologise for me and my two friends being on the otherwise empty road and preventing you from just swinging out of your drive as you liked without looking. Perhaps you did actually attempt to brake in time to give way, but the weight of your obese girlfriend in the passenger seat had increased your braking distance so that we had to swerve out to avoid you. Perhaps that's why she tutted and shook her head at us as if it was somehow our fault?

Even the guy's car was fat - one of those bulgy shaped ones....

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
they were probably muttering something about road tax as well…

frog

Perhaps that's why she tutted and shook her head at us as if it was somehow our fault?

First time I read it I saw ' She butted and shook her head' as in banged her head on the windscreen because she wasn't belted in.

The Imp of Perversity which inhabits my soul was rolling on the floor laughing it's little spiked tail off. :blush:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
frog said:
First time I read it I saw ' She butted and shook her head' as in banged her head on the windscreen because she wasn't belted in.

The Imp of Perversity which inhabits my soul was rolling on the floor laughing it's little spiked tail off. :blush:

:ohmy:

Nah, she just looked daggers at us. I looked daggers back. I had my riding crop in my hand (It had threatened to fall out of my pannier earlier, so I was just carrying it across my bars) and wished afterwards I'd done a u-turn and pursued them, swishing it, and given their fat car a jolly good thrashing. But I didn't think of it in time, luckily...

Wobbles

Obviously your fault!

Yeah, your fault for delaying them for precisely one nanosecond:angry:

The sooner you realise that his 3 ton lardwagon trumps your weedy little bicyle by 500 burgers and a heart attack the better.

Perhaps you've learned your lesson!

Cab

Maybe you should go there with lots of riding chums and wait till the horses cover the whole area outside their house in horse crap?

Arch, I'm 100% sure that your comments are just as it happened but ...

wouldn't it be nice (even if just once) if the "obese girlfriend in the passenger seat" "tutted and shook her head" at her driver for not looking correctly and endangering another road user.

Wouldn't it be nice if ALL road users (applies more to drivers, and I am one, on 2 & 4 wheels) remembered the simple mantra "never cause another road user to change speed or direction"

Glad you were OK :blush::girl: and let's hope that the errant driver is a member of CC and gets to read your appology. Maybe a swift u-turn and a swish with your crop would have been a better response ... although a crop against a 4x4 reminds me of Basil Fawlty birch trashing his non starting car.

LLB

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time behind the wheel and in the saddle. Making it out to be you fault is not on irrespective of whatever they are driving.

Look o the bright side - you know where they live :blush:

linfordlunchbox said:
Everyone makes mistakes from time to time behind the wheel and in the saddle. Making it out to be you fault is not on irrespective of whatever they are driving.

Look o the bright side - you know where they live :blush:

May have been sarcasm? Or post-near miss relief?

Tynan

Veteran
seems to be a rash of this lately

especially violation of the cardinal 'never reverse from a minor to a major'

someone reversed out their drive onto the A41 last night, a fast bit, incredible

Cheddar George

oober member
On this mornings commute a little old lady (the split of miss marple) pulled out in fromt of me after looking straight through me, i hit the brakes and narrowly avoided the rear bumper. She then decided she wanted the next left and promptly started to drift back into the kerb pushing me onto the pavement (fortunately there was a dropped kerb).
I saw at least 3 other drivers staring at her while she chugged on oblivious to the world around her.

It feels better to share these things.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
linfordlunchbox said:

Look o the bright side - you know where they live :biggrin:

Yeah, in a great big block of flats, sorry, luxury appartments. I bet they even have fat carpet...

I have to say it wasn't one of those heartpounding "just an inch more and I'd be a goner" near misses. But I and the friend behind both had to swerve out, convinced that the guy wasn't going to stop. We weren't going that fast, but I do suspect that if he hadn't jammed the brakes on when he finally noticed us, it might have been nasty. And with several litres of blackberries in our panniers, potentially messy....

Funnily, his inattention, I'd probably have just shrugged off. It was the look on the face of the girlfriend as I glanced back I really resented...

Whats wrong with luxuary apartments?!?! (Not that I live in one, mind)

Some people genuinely believe that cyclists don't belowng on the roads. They will never change. All I hope for is that I live long enough to see them die out as cycling becomes more and more popular. Unlikely I know!!

Top Bottom