Dear Mrs Lady...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Firstly, may I say how shiny your bike was. A real credit to you.

Secondly. You were quite correct to wait at the Give Way line when wanting to turn right out of a side road onto the main road. However, I suggest in future that as well as stopping, you actually look to see whether anything is coming before then proceeding. If you must just go without really looking, I suggest it is better not to do it in front of a bloody great coach doing 30mph! Finally, if you are going to make a habit of riding out without looking in front of coaches, you had better develop better acceleration, in order to stand any chance of surviving...

Cheers,

Arch

Bloody hell! I'd bagged the seat behind the driver, so I had a driver's eye view as she carefully stopped, then pootled out in front of us at walking pace, when we were about 20-30 yards(?) away (I'm no good at estimating distance in those terms, suffice to say, we were close....) Luckily, our driver was on the ball, and able to slow in time, but it was close. She seemed completely unaware... If it had been someone failing to give way and shooting straight out, somehow, that would 'make sense', but she seemed to be doing all the right things, bar the minor point of actually thinking or looking! It was a mirror image of the classic "driver sees you and then goes anyway" scenario...

domtyler

Über Member
Yeah, but at least her bike was shiny.

Perhaps that's what keeps them shiny, y'know the rubbing with the cardigan as they...

Emu

magnatom said:
Did she have a shopping basket on front and was she wearing a cardigan ? :smile::ohmy:

For those who have the joy of cycling over Wansdworth Bridge and know what the cyle path going north bound involves I watched the above kinda lady ride off the cycle path straight into the path of a white Volvo. That too was unbelieveably close and I really did think I would have to put my first aid training into use again. I really don't know how the car stopped in time. I didn't notice the shininess of her bike though, I was too shocked by what she did.

cupoftea

This sort of behaviour is the biggest killer of cyclists.

Speaking of the "disappeared" but I think this was the point that "Theo" yes I dare use his name, was trying to make.

i.e. RLJing is bad for the name of cycling but not looking and being aware of the traffic around you, is bad for your health

I wonder whether these people normally drive and expect others to see them, or are they so scared that their not looking

PS don't RLJ

col

Legendary Member
A friends relative once said to me,a while ago,while driving the car i always concentrate in front,i dont bother with rearview mirrors,because they are behind me ,and i dont need to worry about them,:smile::ohmy:

TimO

Guru
I had a recollection that cyclists transiting from the footway to the roadway was the second biggest cause of cycle related incidents. I've got an even poorer recall of the number one cause, although I think it's left turning vehicles whilst a cyclist tries to undertake.

Of course Googling around I can't find any numbers, does anyone know of a site?

Top Bottom