Dear Ninjas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If I go all-out on my winter hack, I can have:

Front and rear dynamo lights, with a standlight on the rear.
Front and rear battery LED lights - front on handlebar, rear on pannier.
Front and rear back-up 'Skullies' - twin LEDs in a skull shaped light, fixes to any tube with integral rubber bands.
Rear blinky LED dangling from the loop on my jacket.
Illuminated LEDAL pedals - activated by foot pressure, and automatically show red to rear, white to front.

I could even add my Alpkit headtorch - white to front, red to rear.

So far I've only bothered with the dynamos and pedals (since they are fitted) plus the LED battery lights.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Front and rear back-up 'Skullies' - twin LEDs in a skull shaped light, fixes to any tube with integral rubber bands.

+1 and if I remember, twas Arch who introduced me to the Skully lights :thumbsup: . Not as cheap as they used to be though!
Front: Cree on constant, skully, Blackburn flea flashing. Back - smart on rear stay, skully, 2 flashing back-ups on rucksack.
And I still sometimes get treated like I'm invisible.

I don't know if it's just me but there really does seem to have been an increase in folks without lights/shite lights this year.

Arch

Married to Night Train
+1 and if I remember, twas Arch who introduced me to the Skully lights :thumbsup: . Not as cheap as they used to be though!

Just had a google and it seems some are silly prices, and a couple (via Amazon), cheaper than I paid. Cool though, and I especially like the fixing, because it's so versatile. I've just refreshed the button cells in my rear one (I think I left it on overnight a couple of times), after over a year of use and it's dazzling again!

Saw a light the other day in the local hardware shop that had four projecting 'arms' made of plastic covered wire, so that they would bend or twist round any tube and stay put. That's the key to a good back up, something you can bung on any bike without a mount. Or on yourself, if necessary.

Basically, if I have to have last words, I want them to be "What part of this lot did you not see?"

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
What size cells are they Arch (not that I'm being a lazy sod and not wanting to go outside to look of course).....

Arch

Married to Night Train
What size cells are they Arch (not that I'm being a lazy sod and not wanting to go outside to look of course).....

CR2032

I recently found some cards of 8 button cells in my local poundland - something like 4 2032s, and 2 each of two other sizes. Otherwise, the cheapest I've found them is a quid each.

(or, I once picked up a clip-on light that's supposed to clip onto a baseball cap brim. Never unpacked it yet, but I came across it the other day and it has two 2032s included. That was from a poundshop too).

Fran143

Über Member
That happened to me yesterday.....had to jump off and rescue the rechargable batteries. Think it may be because I have started looping padlock around seat post and perhaps "shoogled" it loose!:wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ta muchly. I haven't ever changed the batteries and had them about 2 years now.

Yes, I can't remember if it's a year, or two, I've had them. Actually, must be two, because they came on three night rides last year - that's 6 or 7 hours of illumination each time for a start, not to mention all the evenings commuting.

Very easy to change the batteries too - just prise up the back and it flips up and stays attached, so no losing a plastic cap under the table....

potsy

Rambler
That happened to me yesterday.....had to jump off and rescue the rechargable batteries. Think it may be because I have started looping padlock around seat post and perhaps "shoogled" it loose!:wacko:
Mmm, anybody else just googled shoogled? :ohmy:

shoogled: Meaning one: being drugged against your will by government or cops.

Interesting commute you have Fran :laugh:

Tynan

Veteran
I know batteries aren;t overly expensive but the good thing about rechargeable batteries and even better rechargeable lights is that it can be done without a trip to the shops or putting your hand in your pockets

I\m never sure what I like least, ninjas or people with thos tiny one led lights on their seatpost that are barely glowing, a bare glow is better than nothing but I suspect those using them think they're lit up

Top Bottom