Death Wish??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
Clearly councillor Stanton believes rule 202 of the HW code does not apply to him.
202 Look carefully before you start reversing. You should ...
check that there are no pedestrians (particularly children), cyclists, other road users or obstructions in the road behind you.

"The man, who asked not to be named, said the same cyclist had recently collided with the back of his tractor and was now claiming £9,000 compensation as he had to import replacement parts from Australia"

What's the recumbent made of. I think it would be a right off if it had done that much damage to any of the tractors at the farm i'm on.

Thomk

Guru
Michael Stanton, who represents Repton on South Derbyshire District Council, said he had a close encounter with the cyclist when emerging from the driveway of his home in Ticknall in his pick-up truck.

He told the meeting: “I was about to pull out when I noticed this wire going past the bonnet with a pennant on it, then I saw this fellow go past lying on his back in a cylindrical type object.
If it had been one second later I would have killed him. If he gets killed it probably serves him right, but the problem is, he may end up killing or injuring someone else.”....

...Councillor Stanton said the cyclist risked killing himself or others and suggested he would be ‘better off going to Dignitas’ — the Swiss clinic which carries out assisted suicide

Or....

An unnamed recumbent cyclist, going about his normal business, said he had a close encounter with a local councillor when passing a driveway in his home town of Ticknall on his bike.
He said “I was just passing the driveway in my highly visible, perfectly legal, recumbent bicycle with added high viz flag when I noticed this sleepy looking fellow in his enormous gas guzzling monster of a pick-up truck reversing towards me”.
If it had been one second later he would have killed me. If he kills someone it probably serves him right, but the problem is, the other person will be dead”.
The cyclist said the motorist risked killing someone and suggested he would be better off dropping a big atomic bomb on Ticknall – the English village in Derbyshire with a sad history of interbreeding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's true, why does the cyclist's wife follow him around with a video camea? Kinda defeats the point of cycling, doesn't it?

PK99

Legendary Member
Mr Stanton was probably reversing out of his driveway so it would be difficult to spot the rider as much as it would be difficult to spot another truck driver, doesn't the highway code say all vehicle should reverse into a driveway so that entering the highway will be forward allowing you to see up and down the road you are about to drive on?

Roger

Try learning to read:
“I was about to pull out when I noticed this wire going past the bonnet

PK99

Legendary Member
Clearly councillor Stanton believes rule 202 of the HW code does not apply to him.
202 Look carefully before you start reversing. You should ...
check that there are no pedestrians (particularly children), cyclists, other road users or obstructions in the road behind you.

Why are you writing about reversing?
I was about to pull out when I noticed this wire going past the bonnet

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
"The man, who asked not to be named, said the same cyclist had recently collided with the back of his tractor and was now claiming £9,000 compensation as he had to import replacement parts from Australia"

What's the recumbent made of. I think it would be a right off if it had done that much damage to any of the tractors at the farm i'm on.

I'd assumed it was the cyclist was claiming the money, as that's roughly the price of a Glyde (recumbent velomobile from Oz). Which does kind of skew the account a little.

plantfit

Guru
Sorry PK99, I missed that point, of course I can read but being on a cycling forum I didn't realise one needed to take any sort of observation test before passing a genuine opinion, once again please accept my apologies for such a stupid mistake therefore I can only aspire to your greatness

Roger

Top Bottom