Deaths when not using helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are correct

As many of you will be aware I am fully cognizant with the BHSI website, and the way it works.

Now we can give the information that was removed from the OP's table, the original has the following qaulifications

*Total includes other and/or unknowns. BHSI Note: cause of death may or may not have been head injuries

Twenty-six percent of bicyclists killed in 2008 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) at or above 0.08 percent.

Bicyclist deaths in 2008 occurred most often during August-October and between the hours of 6pm and 9pm.

Deaths among bicyclists younger than 16 have declined 86 percent since 1975, while deaths among bicyclists 16 and older increased 91 percent.

Deaths of bicyclists younger than 16 were 13 percent of all bicyclist deaths in 2008.

Once again we have the situation where having consumed or not having consumed alcohol is a bigger factor than helmet use when you examine the background of the figures.

If you wish to read the full as opposed to the edited table it is available here

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Not unless all deaths are from head injuries. Wearing or not wearing a helmet will be irrelevant in most cases.

Those stats are just numbers with no real meaning. More information would be needed to draw any conclusion from them.

average of 750 deaths a year, if 500 subtracted the percentages would be the same

This is a wonderful case of statistics proving whatever somebody wants them to prove. This is why I prefer personal experience and experiences of people I know.

No its another example of david k not having a cluex4 about what he posted so he posted a set of meaningless figures.

tigger

Über Member
Well I really wanted to stay out of these, but can't help myself :biggrin:

I don't think thats very fair, a) its a personal attack b) I've found you guilty recently of exactly the same

Can we not leave the ding dong personal battle out of all this? Its been odd removing myself for a couple of days and watching all the pecking - it really does look sad and pathetic - not just aimed at you Red Light. Have you guys not got anything better to do? Really, do you ever actually ride a bike???

Those figures could be useful if we knew what the % of helmet wearers was for each of those years - then its dead easy to work out whether there is a greater likelihood of death either way. Without them they prove nothing, but interesting none the less.

As you were :hello:

No its another example of david k not having a cluex4 about what he posted so he posted a set of meaningless figures.

martynjc1977

Veteran
Bicycle Deaths by Helmet Use
1994-2006

Year/ No Helmet(%), Helmet (%), Total Num

776 (97%)19 (2%)796

783 (95%)34 (4%)828

731 (96%)27 (4%)761

785 (97%)23 (3%)811

741 (98%)16 (2%)757

698 (93%)42 (6%)750

622 (90%)50 (7%)689

616 (84%)60 (8%)729

589 (89%)54 (8%)663

535 (85%)58 (9%)626

602 (83%)87 (12%)722

676 (86%)77 (10%)784

730 (95%)37 (5%)669

646 (92%)50 (7%)699

653 (91%)58 (8%)714

http://www.bhsi.org/stats.htm

Make your own decision if you want to wear a helmet or not, here are the stats, total deaths, how many were and how many were not wearing a helmet

YAWN :tongue:

cycleruk

I am interested that there is a trend that more cyclists are now killed whilst wearing helmets.

Does this indicate that proportionately more cyclists are wearing helmets than previously?

Does this indicate that drivers are becoming riskier towards cyclists wearing helmets?

There are many ways to interpret those figures.

huh.gif
hang does that mean by wearing a helmet you are more likely to die then not wearing a helmet!:eek: i just cant seem to get my head around this, so does this mean i should not be wearing a helmet when im cycling................... yer but, no but, yer but no but
icon_lol.gif

Zoiders

so from total cycle deaths the approx 95% didnt wear a helmet,5% did, allowing for some discrepancy this is still an alarming swing to no helmet = more likely to die in an accident
Sorry - no.

You are quoting that which is merely incidental.

It's like that now struck off gibbon of a doctor who told parents that vaccinating children causes autism - it does no such thing it just so happens that the onset of the condition comes on around the same time as the early vaccinations, it doesn't indicate any cause or effect.

Same thing with your quoted figures, it's all incidental, it doesn't indicate a direct link.

tigger

Über Member
I wouldn't waste your money. Its not very good study and had a number of methodological problems. It was re-analysed by the Elvik this year resulting in a much reduced benefit compared to the ones reported in the abstract you linked to. None of the four more recent studies Elvik also reviewed found a reduction in head injuries from helmet wearing.

Interesting study Red Light. Not read through this in enough detail yet, but, if this an accurate study, then the conclusion shows positive benefits of helmets in terms of pure head injuries but an alarming trend of the more modern soft shells seeming to be less effective, but effective none-the-less. Neck injuries are the real concern though, consistently higher liklihood of neck injuries with helmets whether in new or old studies. No real surprise that facial injuries are only slightly, and fairly negligably, less likely with helmets.

So, based purely on this, the trade off seems to be whether you value your head or your neck...

Would neck injuries be reduced for helmet wearers if the rotational issues were improved?? I also liked your link about the Phillips superskin helmets the other day. Possibly a cycling version within a year.

http://www.bikeradar.com/COMMUTING/...ld-protect-against-rotational-injuries-25081/

At this point we should introduce the dreaded C word. Maybe it would be better if it was introduced, then maybe the focus would shift back to positively improving helmet safety...

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

they are figures i found whilst looking into the subject, similar to the figures you have put forward, open to interpretation yes, just like yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom