Decathlon 7 kids road bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
watching a couple of these on ebay at the moment, and wondered if anyone had an experience of them?

My only thoughts looking at the spec would be to remove/disable the front derailleur and change it to a single front chain ring - kids surely dont need the headache of a triple and tube shifters when getting to grips with a new bike... certainly the first 'road bike' I had as a youngster only had 5 at the back and a single chainring.... maybe I am stuck in the dark ages :biggrin:

Anyhow, anyone with experience of their kids on these I would welcome feedback...

JonoB

Über Member
My son has one. We bought it in France about 4 years ago. He is now too big for it so it will go to son number 2. He has never had a problem understanding the gears (this may be unusual) and he now cycles regularly on a variety of different bikes. I really think it was this bike that gave him his love of bikes (and speed/strength)
The chainring is a little cheap and rusts easily. The rest of the bike is just mini versions of adult kit (some of it made in France!). These are great little bikes but be aware the 600 tyres and tubes are not easily come by.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
Thanks for that, what height was your lad when he first got it, and what height when outgrown?

I guess the tyres and tubes are going to be an online purchase.

JonoB

Über Member
He's not handy at the mo' because he's on a school trip but he rode it from 7 to 10 years old. He's average height I guess. The seat has a long stem but he now dwarfs it at 11. Most small bikes of this kind use 650 wheels which are easier to come by. When Decathlon sold them off, they cost £50. They were only £130 new. Don't be ripped off on Ebay.

Top Bottom