Decathlon bike, rent or another good idea ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did originally ask in the touring section about cycle hire near Los Barrios, Cadiz, Spain. I'm going there around 16th may for 6 weeks ish and wanted to cycle over to Gibraltar , up to the national parcs and over to different towns, usual stuff.
1) I cannot take my own bike because I could be sent anywhere straight from this job and taking the bike boxed up is not an option.
2) due to dates moving, scheduled it's not possible to leave early and drive there with bike in back. Also I may be going straight from Greece to Spain
3) I'm looking into the possibility that instead of the usual hire car on site for travel to/from work that I can rent the bike and charge that instead so I don't pay
4) in the touring section someone suggested buying a decathlon road bike then selling when I'm done. Cheaper than renting

So please offer opinions on decathlon road bikes for using or any other clever ideas, hire company recommendations etc that may solve my problem and help me keep cycling whilst in Spain, working, in the heat, ohhhh the agony ^_^

Edit: I had thought of just weekend hire as I have Sunday's off but it's then a problem collecting and returning when I'm working 12 hour days Monday to Saturday or worse still nightshift xx(

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd get a Triban. The 500SE or 500 flat bar, and change from £300.
Cheaper than renting, even if you abandon the bike when you're done.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Really good, I bought one for my son, 500SE, it's also pretty suitable for touring as it has some rack mounts and triple chain set. Microshift 8 speed has been faultless shifting, it amazing what they do for 300.

If u did buy out there, maybe take your existing saddle out with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Really good, I bought one for my son, 500SE, it's also pretty suitable for touring as it has some rack mounts and triple chain set. Microshift 8 speed has been faultless shifting, it amazing what they do for 300.

If u did buy out there, maybe take your existing saddle out with you.

Yeah I'm thinking of taking my charge spoon or I should say the one I ordered off amazon for £18.50.....bargain hope they are as good as people say

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Charge spoon works for me, have one on the winter steel bike, although saddles are personal thing, the spoon seems to work for a lot of people.

For me Its far comfier than a far more expensive cut out saddle I bought for the best bike, which I ended up replacing with a £20 SM Ponza, which I used on a previous bike, which in turn was far comfier than the reasonably expensive fizik aliante that originally came with the best bike.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Top Bottom