Decathlon cycles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you mean bikes from Decathlon ? Yes there are some decent options there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The cheapest Triban road bikes are a very good deal for beginners, though the wheels are a bit uninspiring. People often upgrade the wheels after a few months. If I had a Triban, I would buy better wheels for spring/summer/autumn use and put the originals back on for the winter. (Winter roads can be tough on wheels because of getting lots of salty wet grit on them. Keep the nicer wheels for nicer weather!)

Johnsop99

Veteran
3 of my 5 bikes are Btwins from Decathlon. They are generally very good value for money although as @ColinJ says the wheels on the Tribans are not the best and I did upgrade them, but I am much happier with the wheels on my Ultra AF700 and still running (should that be cycling?) on the originals. Check them out instore though as Decathlons mail order service is not very good.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Word on the street is they're good value for money as a new purchase; personally I'd take a good used bike in preference..

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've got one and the wheels it came with were terrible, but the bike itself is fine.
So if you get one factor in the cost of a new wheelset.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ive heard customer service is occasionally hit or miss but it depends on the branch itself.

I have a friend who does a lot of work for ubereats. He bought one of their electric bikes and the battery died on it within 3 months and had one or two broken spokes on the wheels. He had already taken it back to them TWICE to get fixed and each time he had to wait about two weeks for parts to come in.

I think he eventually managed to get a refund after being given the run around but they really did string it out before giving in.

As for their clothing, I havent really heard any serious complaints. general consensus seem to be that its of decent quality and quite bang for buck.

Twilkes

Guru
Out of interest, for those that said the wheels are poor, how does that manifest itself? i.e. what do you notice about them that you don't with the upgraded wheels?

DRM

Guru
If you’re in Bergerac, I think you’ll find a lot more choice, and a bigger store then we have in the UK, they have been in the ones I’ve visited anyway

C R

Guru
I have had an RC500 since March, my first road bike, perfectly happy with it, would definitely buy a decathlon bike again.

Johnsop99

Veteran
Out of interest, for those that said the wheels are poor, how does that manifest itself? i.e. what do you notice about them that you don't with the upgraded wheels?
The original wheels on my £300 Triban 3 regularly went out of true. The wheels on the more expensive (list price £750) Ultra AF700 and the RS501's I put on the Triban have all been fine, they also roll better.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Largest retailer of cycles in the world, branches everywhere, even got one up the road from me. Having such massive buying power means excellent value but some models can be rather uninspiring and look a bit dull. Some may prefer to have one the big names on their bike.

I'm a fan of them, and we're also lucky to have some stores over this way. Often buy their components and accessories, good quality and no issues. Did used to have one of their folding bikes back in the UK, till it got stolen. So what more proof do you need - if they were rubbish bikes no one would steal them :laugh:

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Are they any good ?
If you mean their bikes I can't comment. If you are talking of other products I've been once and wouldn't return. I was looking for shoes and also browsed clothing. I left feeling I had made a wasted journey.

Rightly or wrongly I formed the impression the products were of questionable quality and manufactured to achieve a specific retail price. Nothing wrong with this, it's common in other areas, but I don't feel it represents the best value for money. Consequently I wouldn't shop there.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Heavy and impossible to get a tyre on and off the rim, so fixing a puncture outside was impossible. This was with the Triban RC520, I cant comment about the other bikes. I wouldnt buy another bike from there personally.