Decathlon open store in Accra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its a little way out from the centre in an area where there a few large stores but not too far from me luckily.
IMG-20170224-WA0035.jpg

Hitherto the only place here where you could buy bikes new is a South African chain called Shoprite, they sell cheap Chinese made Raleigh and a brand called Totem.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4821616, member: 259"]They're everywhere now - a Decathlon pops up and almost overnight, about five LBSs close down.:sad:

Is it in an out-of-town spot or in the city?[/QUOTE]

In Crawley the opposite seemed to happen, lbs's closed, inc a branch of Evans, weren't replaced, and Decathlon stepped in.

Never bought a Decathlon own-brand product that I regretted and have steered a few friends and family to the BTwin range.

There's one in Cambridge opening shortly. Can see it doing well with students as a lot of the bike places in this neck of the woods don't always cater to the budget-conscious. I'm looking forward to it too. Can't fault any of the kit I've bought there so far.

One thing though, their clothes sizings are all over the place, so trying on everything before buying is a big must. I mean when I went to the one in Surrey Quays t'other week, I tried on a small t-shirt which was still like a circus tent on me, so left it on the rack and got one in Matalan instead (size 8), a medium cycling top which is just about spot on which I bought and a ladies' fleece which was a large that was a tad of a squeeze to get on, so also got left on the rail... *headscratch*

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Visited today and bought a load of stuff I needed.
Turns out theres a young guy called Suliman running the cycling section who is a real enthusiast and very knowledgeable too. Mostly MTBs at the moment but a good selection including their top of the range carbon road bike which is seriously impressive.
He says they'll be getting another container this week with a lot more stock.
This is a very aggressive company.

Visited today and bought a load of stuff I needed.
Turns out theres a young guy called Suliman running the cycling section who is a real enthusiast and very knowledgeable too. Mostly MTBs at the moment but a good selection including their top of the range carbon road bike which is seriously impressive.
He says they'll be getting another container this week with a lot more stock.
This is a very aggressive company.

Global turnover of 10 billion euros! And they claim to have sold over 3.7 million bikes.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- so why don't they open one serving the south west of England/south Wales? Bristol? Cardiff? Exeter? Taunton? Newport? Gloucester? Their map of the UK must have the whole of the bottom left hand corner missing.:huh:

You would think that one in the south west would do roaring trade...the ones in Brittany are always rammed full of tourists whenever it rains:whistle:

gaijintendo

Veteran
I hadn't really clocked you were in Ghana for some reason. Just had Fante Kenkey and Okra stew in glorious Glasgow tonight.
When I was last in Ghana 2009, (during the Obama visit) cycling seemed entirely utility. I assume they have finished a couple more highways?
I fantasised about cycling up to Aburi when I was there, but I'm not sure I would want to share the road with the cabbie that drove me up, and I imagine a toll booth would cause me unimaginable stress.
I can't believe it has been 8 years... And when I do get back, I can't imagine I'd need to pop into Decathlon, but I am delighted for you.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello @gaijintendo thanks. You must have been really inducted into Ghanian society if you still seek out Kenke and Ocra stew! Funnily enough my wife's cousin lives and works on Glasgow.

Cycling here isn't too bad. Having said that I've just come back from shopping and some prat in a 4wd drove into the back of me and totalled the back wheel of my Spesh AWOL which I'd just bought here. Don't know if you ever went but at Caprice in the centre there are about twenty or thirty 'home used' bike shops where you can get a wide variety of stuff. Nearby is Tudu which deals with spares.

The Chinese have built a few new good roads and so have the Italians. There are still too many 'traditional' Ghana roads where they roll a camber into the dirt and cover it with about an inch of tar and chippings which as you know soon goes into holes. The joys of living in Ghana.

Top Bottom