Decathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I don't know about you but the cycling stuff in this store fails to excite me. I've visited the Southampton branch several times but after the first 5 minutes I move to other sections as I can't find anything that excites me. On the other hand, I go to any of the cycling retailers on Internet and I end up with a long list of items in my wish list :tongue:. The other day I spent far more time looking at camping and table tennis stuff than cycling. My guess is that I understand more about quality on cycling stuff than the other things.

Whenever my wife and I visit the West Quay in Southampton we split to do our shopping and I guess I always come out of Decathlon disappointed that I find nothing that I want to buy :laugh:

inkd

Yep, I have to agree with you there. I have been several times, but my only purchase to date was a few thermal tops for work and two kids backpacks for days out in the forest/beach. The new range btwin bikes look nice but not sure if they instore yet?

Mile195

Veteran
Nothing to buy? NOTHING TO BUY???? Nobody leaves Decathlon without a bar of the white crunchy Ritter Sport chocolate from the counter. You know you're breaking the law by leaving without one right?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Once I had torn myself away from the riding crops and the plastic life-sized horse in bondage gear I realised there wasn't much there of interest. The few items of clothing I tried were an odd shape, not well fitted to my svelte figure and about as odd as Aldi cycling gear. We have owned a Triban 3 bike and although it rode well and was a great "filler" for a fast-growing son, the wheels were made of gruyere and we soon needed to replace them. Their masks and fins have given us a lot of fun on holiday though, at a reasonable price.

Diggs

Veteran
One of the few remaining sports "kit" shops rather than those just selling pub trainers. Cycling wise, kit all comes in same colours and pocket design appears ill concieved.
Usually come out with something but much like the school discos of the distant past, never what you thought you'd end up with before you set out.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to think the decathlon shorts were the bees knees and still use the basic 3 ones for commuting but nowadays i find the shape of the pad on the 5 rated stuff creates a chaff point so i have moved onto dhb areons .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Once I had torn myself away from the riding crops and ... bondage gear I realised there wasn't much there of interest.

Are you sure you were in Decathlon? :thumbsup:

KneesUp

Guru
White chocolate xx( smells like baby sick.
I worked in a chocolate factory once - well, for a week.

I started my first shift at 6am. I was taken to a machine which had a tank that was filled with liquid white chocolate - but this being a British factory, there was no ball-float or anything to turn off the flow if it got full, it was done manually. And someone had forgotten. So I was given a shovel and some wellies, and spend the next hour shovelling up an ankle-deep puddle of white chocolate which was slowly solidifying around my feet. I've not eaten it since.

yello

I do buy some clothing stuff from Decathlon, just not cycling clothing. It's pretty much my first port of call for fleeces, base layers and walking shoes (though I have to admit I don't have too many other places that sell such stuff locally).

Tbh, I find there stuff pretty dull but good enough quality for my purposes. Their cycle stuff though, no, wouldn't buy it.

I do buy oil, grease, tubes, etc from them though. Oh, and a pair of tyres once.

Edit: and yes, in perfect honesty, I DO buy Ritter Sport white chocolate from there!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I worked in a chocolate factory once - well, for a week.

I started my first shift at 6am. I was taken to a machine which had a tank that was filled with liquid white chocolate - but this being a British factory, there was no ball-float or anything to turn off the flow if it got full, it was done manually. And someone had forgotten. So I was given a shovel and some wellies, and spend the next hour shovelling up an ankle-deep puddle of white chocolate which was slowly solidifying around my feet. I've not eaten it since.

As a kid on a French Exchange trip we went to the Poulin Chocolate factory in France. The sweet sickly stench of chocolate was awful. It was some ten years before I could bring myself to eat chocolate, I'm still not keen now. The smell of slaughterhouses I can take, but chocolate factories .... bleaugh ...

stephec

Legendary Member
As a kid on a French Exchange trip we went to the Poulin Chocolate factory in France. The sweet sickly stench of chocolate was awful. It was some ten years before I could bring myself to eat chocolate, I'm still not keen now. The smell of slaughterhouses I can take, but chocolate factories .... bleaugh ...

I love going to chocolate factories, Cadburys at Bournville, Nestle at York, and quite a few others, I love the smell of those places. :smile:

Back on topic though, I've had some of the Decathlon mid range shorts and they did the job well, the only downside was that they wear out a lot quicker than the more expensive stuff I have from Castelli and Giodarna, still good value for money though.

I agree the jerseys and shorts in Decathlon are uninspiring. But I've bought loads of other stuff from them, socks, undervests, caps, merino t shirts, overshoes, all have been well made and excellent value. Also great for brand names eg Shimano at mail order prices, I'm currently using a pair of Shimano shoes from them and only last week bought a pair of SPDs from them for £17, a bargain.

danielstucke

Über Member
I got an Elite Team Workstand in there last weekend. Quality big stand at a good price. And my two year old son loved being pulled around in the wheely baskets :smile:

Top Bottom