Decent adjustable spanners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
When I worked in Germany they used to call adjustables 'Englanders'...
And our American cousins call a spanner a wrench which is more accurate because apparently originally, a spanner was a tool for winding up the spring mechanism of a wheelock sporting gun - ! ^_^
But then, we still have the monkey wrench - ! :laugh:

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I think you get what you pay for (or don't). They may look OK, but you will almost certainly find that the jaws aren't held as rigidly in place as they would be with a better set.

If they are for very occasional use, that may be acceptable, but if you are going to be using them regularly, it is better to get a decent one (or set). Your nuts will thank you!

Yeap your not wrong DAMHIK!!

Not really bad but not bahco quality..

Relegated to van duties...

Will get a bahco as and when...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A bahco 4" or 6" isn't going to break the bank and I think my 12" was a perfectly reasonable £30 and has reversible jaws to act as a pipe gripper too.

The 18" was a fair bit more money 30 years ago despite being a deal, so likely a hundred quid or more now

But no sense in skimping on a bike sized one.

gbb

Legendary Member
“Adjustable spanner”.

Engineer here Shudders at the thought 😎

Bahco are more than decent enough for rounding off a few nuts though 🤣

Me too, it's one of the least used tools in my box. Tbh, there's no need for them unless you want just one tool in your arsenal.
8, 10, and 13 will cover 90% of normal nuts and bolts on 99% of bikes...and they will tighten and undo them properly.

Alex321

Veteran
Me too, it's one of the least used tools in my box. Tbh, there's no need for them unless you want just one tool in your arsenal.
8, 10, and 13 will cover 90% of normal nuts and bolts on 99% of bikes...and they will tighten and undo them properly.

I don't think my bike has a bolt or nut anywhere that takes a spanner. They are all hex key heads now.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
I don't think my bike has a bolt or nut anywhere that takes a spanner. They are all hex key heads now.

I think the only nuts in mine are the nylocks in the mudguard bridge bolts.

Top Bottom