Decent adjustable spanners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I think you get what you pay for (or don't). They may look OK, but you will almost certainly find that the jaws aren't held as rigidly in place as they would be with a better set.

If they are for very occasional use, that may be acceptable, but if you are going to be using them regularly, it is better to get a decent one (or set). Your nuts will thank you!

Your knuckles will probably thank you too.

silva

Über Member
Not a joke - in some past, bosses at work ordered decent tools and bolts and whatever.
But these days they try to save every penny and pick cheapest items on their screen. A stupid example for washers, new deliveries were boxes with washers half as thick as before. When you tension bolts as before, they deform to conical into the wood, and after a couple fix/defix they just break somewhere.
So what did people do: they put two instead of one. And the boss just keeps on ordering those thin ones, it's just haha.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Not a joke - in some past, bosses at work ordered decent tools and bolts and whatever.
But these days they try to save every penny and pick cheapest items on their screen. A stupid example for washers, new deliveries were boxes with washers half as thick as before. When you tension bolts as before, they deform to conical into the wood, and after a couple fix/defix they just break somewhere.
So what did people do: they put two instead of one. And the boss just keeps on ordering those thin ones, it's just haha.

I suspect you previously had ‘Form C’s’….. and your purchaser is now buying Form A or B’s - which would account for not being half as robust…….

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran

Use two!

C R

Guru
Oh yes, my dad was a farmer, mole grips were used a lot. I was also taught that in general "outdoor" woodwork, the screwdriver was only needed to remove screws, as a hammer was much quicker for putting screws in!

Your dad must have gone to the same training school as mine :laugh:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Oh yes, my dad was a farmer, mole grips were used a lot. I was also taught that in general "outdoor" woodwork, the screwdriver was only needed to remove screws, as a hammer was much quicker for putting screws in!

Got a lad at work from a small Suffolk Town called Bungay. Not only do we wind him up about having 12 fingers / webbed feet etc - we also call a screw a ‘Bungay Nail’ ! Nuff said…

All uphill

Still rolling along
Got a lad at work from a small Suffolk Town called Bungay. Not only do we wind him up about having 12 fingers / webbed feet etc - we also call a screw a ‘Bungay Nail’ ! Nuff said…
Oi!

I'm from Bungay.

I'll meet you on Beccles Common at dawn, with bicycle pumps, for a duel to the death!

PS I've just checked and I have the normal number of fingers and toes. 13 of each.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Oi!

I'm from Bungay.

I'll meet you on Beccles Common at dawn, with bicycle pumps, for a duel to the death!

PS I've just checked and I have the normal number of fingers and toes. 13 of each.

🤣🤣

Small World ! Nothing wrong with Bungay. Plus; I do a lot of work for Clays. So I’d better not say too much…..😉

Top Bottom