Decent tyres for on/off road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobbyp

After having an MTB and commuter sstolen last year I replaced them both with an Uncle John cross bike. Next weekend I'm looking to take it off-road for the first time and looking for decent tyre recommendations. Be suitable for on road and hardpack/gravel. Probably not to much mud around.

I've taken a look at all sorts and it seems all cyclo-X tyres are designed for racing rather than arsing about in forests.

Any ideas?

PapaZita

Guru
I've been using Michelin 'Mud 2' and 'Jet' cross tyres this winter and have been very happy with both. The Jet would probably be appropriate for the surfaces you describe. Unlike many cross tyres it's not overly knobbly so it rolls quite well on the road as well as being good for hard/dry off road conditions.

Some ebay sellers have been doing pairs of Michelin cross tyres for a good price. I think I got mine from Paul Milnes.

PZ.

the doctor

I have only just joined this forum.
Nice to see some content for Crossers.
I have a Felt F1x, have used a variety of tyres. Initially the bike was shod with Shwalbe CX pro's, very light, good grip in most conditions, but got cut up on flints real easy. I have used the michelin jets, and have had similar problems, I now have Specialized Houfalize, not too bad on the road, very good off, only problem I have had with them is that they are prone to p*n(tures.
I am going to buy some Vittoria Cross XN or XGs, supposed to be puncture resistant(ish).

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If your off road is going to be limited to hard packed gravel (fire roads, etc) I wouldn't get too hung up with cross tyres. Even a touring tyre like a Panaracer Pasella will cope well.

You only need lumpy grip on your tyres once the going gets soft enough for the lumps on the tyre to stick into the ground surface. On hard surfaces it's the lumps on the ground that stick into the tyre and tread pattern is unnecessary.

the doctor

Thanks for the comments.

went for the Vittoria XNs in the end, so far so good, very good on road, and hardpacked stuff, and surprisingly good on light mud.

Top Bottom