Decided on Hardtail, but which one for £1k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
From what ive seen on the auction and emails from the seller the bike seems pretty decent. Im very tempted to purchase the bike (depending on price we agree) due to the kit it has.

Longterm id like to invest in a trigon carbon mtb frame, as i am so impressed with my road frame and transfer the kit over.

What sort of price should i be looking to pay for the bike though?

Mr Pig

aserota said:
What sort of price should i be looking to pay for the bike though?

Really, I have no idea. I guess as long as you're happy with the price. Is it quite near you?

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
The bike is going to be £750 as it is now.

It needs an XT 9 speed cassette and chain. Which with fitting will be under a £100.

Any ideas on this price? i am quite keen

Mr Pig

I don't know, you can get a lot of bike, with a guarantee, in the sales for that money. It really is your call. Personally, I don't think I'd risk it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad bike. If you've set your heart on it then go for it. Maybe... ;0)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I can really recommend a Rock Lobster tig team sl 08; a cracking lightweight bike that ticks all the boxes !

I got mine earlier this year from Merlin Cycles; the service was first class - I specified the bike exactly as I wanted it and that was what I got. (After I'd taken on-board some very useful tips and advice from the Merlin staff).

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
After a chat with the seller today, i have gone ahead with the purchase.

All parts are new, bar the wheels which are running true and in excellent condition. For the price i couldn't find anything better, as i was adement i wanted xt deore gear.

If i really get competitive with MTB'ing i may look at getting some new fork (with suspension) and will change over to a trigon MTB carbon frame. But for now i want to get used to MTB'ing and transfer from road to off road biking.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
I received the bike today and it is immaculate. Everything is brand new with boxes included, bar the wheels and handlebars.

I have booked it into evans cycles tomorrow for a chain and casette to be fitted and a general service to check everything is running well (all groupset is new and unused so should be).

So i ended up paying £750 for the bike, and will be looking at around £100 for parts and labour tomorrow, so am very quite happy its underbudget.

Bike seems very light, not weighed it, but estimate around 11kg or less so should be nice to ride.

Will get pics up when it is home tomorrow. Got a 20mile cycle to get used to it!

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
hmm slightly frustrating day to say the least!

Headset was broken, so needed replacing, £60 with labour. XT chain and cassette bought and fitted, so repair work was £250.

I rode the bike from london bridge to waterloo then found the new headset was loose and the seat post come loose aswell, so well done evans cycles. Got this fixed by a mechanic who then informed me that the lovely carbon forks were too short for the frame and showed me.

So will now be looking for some new forks, but rest of the bike is grand. Need to get it setup properly as knees were hurting after 20 miles around london.

Mr Pig

I hope you get it sorted but these are exactly the kind of risks to take buying a bike, or anything, of this nature. Such issues were very likely, I just hope you can get them sorted at reasonable cost and the bike can be adjusted to fit properly.

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
estimates, receipt is in bag

Chain - £20
Casette - £40
Service - £55
Headset - £40
Headset labour - £25
Rear Mech Hanger - £20
and other bits ill have to check, but was £252 in total

I have had a serious think about the bike today. Realistically it would be best to sell the forks and get something similar but of correct fitment. Otherwise i could sell the bike, but i would imagine id make a huge loss.

Its annoying, but on the other hand with a little work it should be fantastic (half cup of water and all).

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Regardless of all the above....

I just went out for a proper off road and road cycle on the bike and it is fantastic.

I spent this morning checking over the bike and setting it up properly for my use. The change of speed is excellent and its very lightweight, meaning it can change direction in an instant.

The next step is to go to the one bike shop i trust (now anyway) and have a chat regarding the forks. I will also be changing over my SPD pedals from my road bike and getting some road pedals on that bike.

Very impressed with the bike, now i have had some time riding it.

Top Bottom