Deciding Between 2 Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How about this Trek FX?
trek-fx-2017-hybrid-bike-grey-EV286591-7000-2.jpg

But try to get one with disc brakes.
Here's one: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

Drago

Legendary Member
Ride them both, choose the one that's nicest to you.

Otherwise, the Giant is cheaper by as much as £60 if you shop about.

Neither are especially exciting, and while they're probably not bad bikes the frame specs don't really make them worthwhile to upgrade the components as time goes by. If that's your long term goal buy the bike, enjoy it, and instead of buying upgrades put the cash in a jar to save towards a better bike.

I am not a fan of low cost MTB's with suspension forks, and here's why. A low cost suspension fork, like those that are on those two bikes, are heavy, they use a spring inside the unit that is subject to failure, nor will it provide the same ride quality or respond as well on rough terrain as a good fork, they add cost to the bike which means the bike manufactures have to recover that cost to keep the price point low by putting on cheaper components and or frame. In addition the only place a suspension fork is useful is in downhill racing! So if you're not racing, which you wouldn't be if you're looking at a budget bike, there is no need to get a bike with a highly problematic suspension fork. And a good suspension fork by itself without a bike attached starts at $600, like the Manitou Mattoc Pro, which is the best deal for the money, but that gives you an idea of how much a decent starting suspension fork cost.

I use to ride mountain trails in Southern California and never had a bit of suspension, if all you'll be doing is light trails, and maybe some gravel then get a gravel bike or a cross bike. If you want a bike with some sort of suspension then look at a fat tire bike, the tires are large with low air pressure, about 20 psi, the low tire pressure with the large tires make the bike float over rough surfaces.

If you are still dead set on one of those two bikes than I would go with whatever bike you like because they both are basically identical twins of each other.

True and misleading in equal measure.

The forks on these bikes are liable to be a bit ropey at that price point.

However, per se, springs are a better technical solution to the job of providing suspension. The reason they aren't so prevalent on higher end forks is nothing to do with their effectiveness as a suspension medium, but because of the need to provide effective suspension for a wide range of rider weights, and also the weight of the suspension itself - air is lighter than a metal spring, and can be easily tuned for a fatty or a racing snake without having to change components.

But for all that, a quality spring matched to the riders weight (as is mine, custom wound by Rock Shox because I'm a big laddie) is a more effective suspension medium than air. More supple, superior rising rate characteristics, smoother on rebound and extension so give better ground tracking. Unfortunately, because of the aforementioned considerations high quality sprung forks are near extinct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom