Decision about your fave song now...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Currently I am playing:

Jason Mraz (6 yr old Daughter loves his music) - I'm Yours and the Live version of Life is Wonderful is great (with a bit of fun in the middle ;)). Love the "proper version" too as it builds up the layers of music with each verse.

This morning it was all about Broken by Seether (feat Amy Lee) and when I get in the mood for loud music with heart it has to be Rise Above This (also by Seether) at high level, or Amaranth by Nightwish. View attachment 6296

Loads more music which gets me going for many different reasons and in many different moods - far too many to name here!!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Fnaar said:
Is that about the same thing that "Turning Japanese" is meant to be about? :sad:

Ahem, probably not. I don't think they'd invented that sort of thing in those days.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
As an avid collector of music of many genres, my years of musical exploration have resulted in a clear favourite. If anything is going to top this, then I'll be in for some serious musical nirvana.

No prizes for guessing who, but Track 12 of THIS is far and away the most mesmerisingly enjoyable piece of music I have ever come across, which for a Grateful Dead obsessive is saying something! With this band, of course, it's not just a matter of favourite song, but more a case of favourite live rendition, or favourite jam section or favourite segue etc etc.

In this one, the extended sequence from 4'04" is a stunning freight-train groove-ride that astounds me in its extraordinary brilliance every time I listen. Jerry's short lick at 4'15" is so upliftingly indicative about the direction of the jam, and it told me immediately on first listening that this was going to be a special rendition indeed - the loose, casual optimism of those few notes tells you that he's in a good mood for this track and embarking on one of his mind-bendingly 'on' nights where his floating, dominating presence (with beatific smile) above the driving band rhythm means that this is going to be one of those elusive 'talked-about-ever-after' shows in which everything comes together, the whole band so deep in the zone of audience-pleasng.

He cranks it up and up, urged on by the relentless power of the band, reaching a crescendo of soloing inventiveness between 8'00" and 10'00", finding along the way a desultorily exquisite, squealing pinched harmonic, before eventually running out of improvisational steam around 12'30" and winding back down before entering the out-jam phase and usual coda for the track.

You have to crank it up loud, and listen without distraction, eyes closed, if you are going to 'get' it beyond the usual superficial listening level. Not to everyone's taste, I know, but my brain lives and breathes this inventive, groove-based, mind-bending instrumental stuff.

Then again, you can't beat The Ramones either. 1-2-3-4-marvellous! :smile:

Rock on! :biggrin:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Cloud Of Unknowing by Bobby Womack on the Gorillaz Plastic Beach album. Find yourself somewhere quiet and put it on the ipod, magical.

Top Bottom