Decking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I am considering putting decking over a slabbed area.Has anyone any ideas of an alternative to wood

I am thinking about something in U P V C.

Edit Should have said composit. I think

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
You can get composite boards, cost a little more but no painting or slippy surfaces.

You can get a few colours as well i believe,
Shop around for a deal

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I looked into composite decking for my daughter's flat. I cost about £50 per square metre, plus the battens to mount it to, plus fixings, plus labour. We chose something with a 20 year guarantee.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I looked into composite decking for my daughter's flat. I cost about £50 per square metre, plus the battens to mount it to, plus fixings, plus labour. We chose something with a 20 year guarantee.

I used to charge about that 5 yr ago to build a wood deck.
If it needed balustrade it would go over £70m2
Staggering how much wood costs when buying all the framework and planks.
The screws mount up too.

Last deck i built had 800 screws!! Only about a 5x4 m2 area with a very sturdy 150x50 frame, I love my drill driver:laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
One thing to note @pawl
If you go the wooden route, be aware of spacing when setting the planking.

They will need gapping depending on whether they are dry or wet.
Wet boards will shrink and dry will grow.

So regardless of wet or dry you Must gap them, 3-4mm wet. 6-8 dry as a guide.

If you butt up they will warp like hell no matter how many screws you use.

Also get the forge fast type drive screws for a more enjoyable time when building.
Screws can be a pain if you hit tough knots and round out the head.. Pita to be honest

Something like these.
https://www.toolstation.com/forgefa...v4tCHKF9AmCCjOqY_qBVdKthJiGWF4ORoCBzMQAvD_BwE

OP
OP
pawl

pawl

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for your replies.Think I may just leave it slabbed as it is a shaded area and Gould be prone to algae growth

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Composite is expensive. We went with wood, and got Premium Deck Boards via Wicks on 2 for 1 offers as that saves a considerable amount of money.

We have 3 decking areas TBH, and even though wood, it's not a big effort to jet wash it down occasionally, then re-oil.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Even after reading that @Accy cyclist had broken a hip slipping on decking, I was caught out by slippery decking on a holiday in Devon. The chalet we were staying at had a large decked patio, with a sloped access ramp. The main area had non-slip treatment but the ramp had been neglected. The first time I tried walking down it with my bike my feet shot from under me. The only thing that stopped me ending up in a twisted heap of man and bike was that I managed to break my fall by grabbing the handrail as I went down.

I'd recommend anyone who is thinking of building a decked area to address the friction issue from the start!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I built my decking last July using composite boards. These are the solid board types which can be screwed directly into a wooden frame. Size was 7 x 3.8 metres with a small step beside the back door. Decking cost was £800 in materials.

Last edited:
Top Bottom