Decorating costs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some neighbours were having some work so we took the opportunity to get a quote to redecorate a double bedroom...

£280 Tape ceiling panel cracks, Skim with plaster.
£540 Strip wall paper, prepare, re-paper with liner.
£360 Paint ceiling/walls, gloss white wood work
------
£1180 :blush:

Looks like DIY then...the problem is finding the time...

I'm no plasterer so what could I do instead of skimming the ceiling panels?

Andy

domtyler

Über Member
Why don't you do this:

(£540) Strip wall paper, prepare, re-paper with liner.

Easy peasy.

Leaving the rest only setting you back 280 + 360 = £640

U

User482

The only bit that requires real skill is the cracks/ skim plastering, so you only need to lay out £280. I suppose you could paper the ceiling with liner paper, but it's a right pain to do neatly.

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
They quoted for painting the walls then papering the walls, hmm... did they have stetsons on?

Actually they didn't, they have quoted to paper and then paint, which is different so nah.

Cab

Depends on the cracks, but it ain't that hard. Get the right tools (proper plastering trowels for a start!) and its more sort of fiddly and time consuming than actually difficult.

walker

if the cracks are small enough why not just go over them with polyfilla? I did my whole front room, inlcuding flooring for around £500, that included paper, paint sanding down of skirts the lot. take a couple of days off work to do it if you want it that bad.

bonj2

Plastering can't be hard. Just learn it, practice on a surface you're not that bothered about. Even if it is hard to get a smooth finish, just whack loads more than you need on and then sand it down once it's dried.

postman

Legendary Member
Try down at your local R.M. office one or two guys might like to earn a few quid on the side during the strike.May get it a lot cheaper.Yes i am being serious.Some lads have other talents on the side.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If the cracks are due to un-taped joints between plasterboards, then the plaster needs removing around the crack (2" or so for the tape), the joints taped, and the 2" strip to be replastered to match-in. If you just polyfilla or even paper over sich cracks, you'll soon be seeing them again!

I have just had quotes for doing a small cloakroom toilet, a small main bathroom and an ensuite, ie ripping out the old, installing new kit, tiling...without the baths/showers etc..... Am now looking at a part DIY solution.

23k!

Andy, cost of tradesmen here is unbelievable IF they have time to fit you in.
BTW, YHM

U

User482

bonj said:
Plastering can't be hard. Just learn it, practice on a surface you're not that bothered about. Even if it is hard to get a smooth finish, just whack loads more than you need on and then sand it down once it's dried.

I've tried doing plastering - it's hard. Sanding it down makes it look like a right dogs dinner. Ok if you're going to paper over it I suppose.

bonj2

User482 said:
I've tried doing plastering - it's hard. Sanding it down makes it look like a right dogs dinner. Ok if you're going to paper over it I suppose.

Patrick Stevens said:
Famous last words.

hmmm... sure I could master it with a bit of practice.

postman said:
Try down at your local R.M. office one or two guys might like to earn a few quid on the side during the strike.May get it a lot cheaper.Yes i am being serious.Some lads have other talents on the side.

They might well, but how do you know they're going to be any better at it than you are?

U

User482

bonj said:
hmmm... sure I could master it with a bit of practice.

I had a joiner in at the weekend to fit wooden kitchen worktops. He said to me "why do people think that they can do my job well - I wouldn't be able to do theirs". Wise words indeed.

Top Bottom