Defensive Driving Skills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
A fascinating blast from the past, and pretty much as true today as it was back then. Very interesting viewing.

https://silodrome.com/skills-of-defensive-driving/
I enjoyed doing my advanced driving many years ago. Went out with a police instructor a few times for a few lessons and it was great what I picked up from him about reading the road and conditions.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The only difference really is that tyres and brakes are better now than in the 70's, hence reducing stopping distances. It still doesn't excuse drivers following too close a car still cannot stop instantly.

Dave7

Legendary Member
In the 90s the company I worked for sent all the reps etc on a defensive driving course. Excellent. I learned a lot from it.
Part of the training was to drive through a busy town but NOT ALLOWED to use the brakes...... very enlightening.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The only difference really is that tyres and brakes are better now than in the 70's, hence reducing stopping distances. It still doesn't excuse drivers following too close a car still cannot stop instantly.

Firstly, the overall stopping distances used in the Highway Code are not close to reality. It is assumed that a driver will see, evaluate, and react to an emergency hazard within about 2/3rds of a second. This is highly optimistic and the true figure will be somewhere between 1.5 - 2.5 seconds.

There is a good explanation of the physics and mathematics here: http://chalkdustmagazine.com/blog/stopping-distances-highway-code-wrong/

Drivers in general always overestimate their (and their car’s) ability to stop in a hurry until the inevitable happens, at which point they’ll blame something else.

With some drivers, the added safety benefits of advances in tyre adhesion, braking components or headlamps are negated because they are used as an excuse to drive even faster or closer to cars in front.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And along with better tyres, brakes and suspension, cars weigh more - the Golf weighs over double now than the original 70s model - the laws of ,otion that apply to kinetic energy haven't changed.

And along with greater sophistication and comfort comes higher speeds, now married to a lesser level of connection to the vwhicle in motion and reduced alertness.

Take nothing for granted.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming its classed as defensive driving, the one thing I impressed on my DIL as a new driver was give yourself time to think and react. That means looking at almost every situation and give yourself a 'get out' or the distance / time to react.
If you're stuck to someone's boot and / or going too fast, you're simply not going to avoid an accident in those circumstances.

It occurs to me my driving is what you'd call defensive. I drive the A1M every work day and one thing I always do when approaching a lorry that even looks like it might switch lane In front of me (a regular occurence) ..is monitor my next lane. If he moves, I will know almost instantly if I'm clear to move or not. Or simply, mirrors mirrors mirrors, all the time, even when theres no apparent reason to look.

gbb

Legendary Member
In the 90s the company I worked for sent all the reps etc on a defensive driving course. Excellent. I learned a lot from it.
Part of the training was to drive through a busy town but NOT ALLOWED to use the brakes...... very enlightening.
I'm not sure if this is clever...or stupid, but I once drove a van from Peterborough to Redbridge Essex ...without using the clutch. Granted, most of it is motorway but even so. Its do-able if you approach situations appropriately.

Top Bottom