deflation event co-incidence or just unlucky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simmer

Had my first proper ride out on the new Gatorskins this weekend ... 2 rides and 2 major deflation events due to thorns inserting themselves into my fresh rubber ! @Sinkrate also became a victim of these evil 1" slithers of biological weaponry.

thought these Gator's were supposed to be kelvar protected awesomeness :training:

So it seems every farmer around the Cheshire lanes is out cutting hedges this weekend and may therefore be a slightly unfair evaluation for the tyres... maybe I should mark it in the diary as a MTB weekend next year.

so a word of warning to anyone from around these Parts.. the side lanes off Middlewich Road are covered with hedge trimmings at the moment :sad:

Berties

Fast and careful!
Just unlucky !i have refurbished a wheel ,put a gaitor skin on and not even got the 10 miles home from the lbs,
If you go out after a hard storm with grit and flint deposits on the road or hedge cutting time ,expect a visit from the puncture fairy,all tyres puncture,black thorn has armoured piercing property's ,even mtb tyres are targets for it,Flint will slice a tyre like butter ,I've done it a few times

Davidc

Guru
No (pneumatic) tyre is punctureproof - just puncture resistant. It's that time of year when the farmers of Britain shred their hedges into puncture sized splinters.

You've just been unlucky.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Punctures are the bane of my cycling life at the moment.I've seen solid, punctureproof tyres on wheelchairs, so why they're not manufactured to fit a bicycle's wheels puzzles me.

U

User6179

I found the Gatorskin ultra to be average at best on puncture protection front , would try the Gatorskin hardshell that people talk about to see if that's any better.
Never had a thorn penetrate a marathon or a specialized armadillo but plenty went through my Gatorskin.

U

User6179

Punctures are the bane of my cycling life at the moment.I've seen solid, punctureproof tyres on wheelchairs, so why they're not manufactured to fit a bicycle's wheels puzzles me.

They would be horrendous to ride on , marathon plus is the best for P protection I think.

U

User6179

[QUOTE 2775007, member: 259"]Edited for accuracy :thumbsup:

(I do use them myself, but they do make for a dull old ride!)[/quote]

Your right , they do have a dead feel to them and if your in a group you tend to be the one doing the most work .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just unlucky. If thorns can puncture the sole of walking shoes, they sure can a tyre.

OP
OP
Simmer

Simmer

aye, evil blighters those thorns are.. the thread was more a warning to anyone heading this way to avoid the back lanes off middlewhich road. :bicycle:

Top Bottom