Defy 0 or Cannondale Synapse 105 disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tractorboy

Hi,

I'm looking at these two as my new bike and wondered what peoples thoughts or experiences are. Will be testing them over the next couple of weeks from my LBS before buying but any words of wisdom welcomed ^_^.

I am hard pressed to split them tbh. The Defy has the edge from the terms of groupset as it is Ultegra over the 105 but the 'dale has disc brakes which I like and have on my hybrid!!! Hopefully the test will push me one way or the other lol.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The test ride will decide it for you. Two excellent bikes IMHO, but if you already love the disc brakes and the ride is good, then you've already made up your mind :smile:

adscrim

Veteran
Don't have any experience of the Defy but can't recommend the Synapse enough. It's a dream to ride and in my opinion looks better than the defy. Plus it takes mudguards.

mcj800

I have tried both of these and am picking up my Cannondale next week, for me felt a more relaxed position on the bike which suited me and the new 105 worked well. In my opinion the Cannondale looks better with the internal cabling and better welds. There the reasons I choose it. But see what fits you best. Cannot really comment on the breaks yet as only had a short ride and weather was fine will know more in the weeks to come about the breaks.

OP
OP
Tractorboy

Tractorboy

Thanks folks good to hear your thoughts. I'm leaning a bit closer to the Cannondale at the mo but will wait until I try them for a decision :-)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I was torn between the defy and synapse. Went for the synapse eventually.
Although I have had to tweak the bike, e.g shorter stem, I don't regret the choice..

I prefer the Cannondale, nearly bought the Synapse myself. i know 2 people who have them though and they've both had problems with the stock wheels - made of toffee by all accounts.

Tojo

Über Member
I prefer the Cannondale, nearly bought the Synapse myself. i know 2 people who have them though and they've both had problems with the stock wheels - made of toffee by all accounts.

Your right what you hear about giant wheels, I have a few mates with defy's and they have had probs, snapped spokes and running out of true all the time. I recently looked at a pair of new defy wheels as my mate said they were pinging and creaking, the spokes were unevenly tensioned and some were quite slack....:thumbsdown:

vickster

Legendary Member
I did 2000 miles on my avail 2 on giant wheels. Not an issue, and I'm not the lightest and roads are mostly appalling where I was riding it :smile:

Your right what you hear about giant wheels, I have a few mates with defy's and they have had probs, snapped spokes and running out of true all the time. I recently looked at a pair of new defy wheels as my mate said they were pinging and creaking, the spokes were unevenly tensioned and some were quite slack....:thumbsdown:

Actually I was talking about the 2 people I know with Synapses - I don't know anyone who rides a Giant. Sounds like they're as bad as each other! Not good at these prices really - for £1,000 I'd expect wheels to be decent and sturdy, if not the lightest and nimblest. But to pay 1k for anything and find parts of it not fit for purpose is outrageous surely?

Top Bottom