Defy 0 or carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scavenger1

Regular
I'm interested in the defy0 but everyone keeps telling me to pay more and get a carbon frame on defy advanced 2 or 3 .
It's my first bike for 30 years do would appreciate some advice .

vickster

Legendary Member
Go test ride them see which you prefer. Personally, I'd go for the carbon frame if it's not going to be used for commuting, touring etc but we all like different things

jack smith

Veteran
I wouod go with the carbon if you want the best you can get for your money, its lighter stiffer and more comftorable usually

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Defy 0 - Bike Weight - 8.39kg (M frame tested, no pedals) - not bad at all and some good deals around.

Can't find a weight for the Advanced 2 or 3 but it has a carbon frame and disc brakes - a much more modern frame set IMO.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
You'll find a lot of top alu frames with good components are a similar weight to low end carbon covered with low end components- you'll need to consider things like stiffness and dampening road buzz as well as just weight.
Ride both and see which you'll be happier riding on for all manner of reasons.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Personally, I'd go for the carbon frame if it's not going to be used for commuting, touring etc but we all like different things
Aside from avoiding the obvious hammering a bike will get through the winter, any reason for this? I'm assuming decent parking and stuff.

vickster

Legendary Member
Proper fixed rack and decent fixed mudguards, not easy with a carbon frame. No reason why the frame itself should suffer in winter?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Proper fixed rack and decent fixed mudguards, not easy with a carbon frame. No reason why the frame itself should suffer in winter?
Gotcha.
I was thinking more along the lines of a general battering of your pride and joy as opposed to a specific carbon issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
My carbon is no more my pride and joy than my steel :smile: in fact I'd be much more gutted if the genesis got totalled than the carbon!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
My carbon is no more my pride and joy than my steel :smile: in fact I'd be much more gutted if the genesis got totalled than the carbon!
Well......we don't all have as many bikes as you, never mind owning more than one which could be referred to as a pride and joy :whistle:

OT would it be possible for you to quote me if you are replying to me please, If I'm not watching the thread I don't always know that you've replied :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well......we don't all have as many bikes as you, never mind owning more than one which could be referred to as a pride and joy :whistle:

OT would it be possible for you to quote me if you are replying to me please, If I'm not watching the thread I don't always know that you've replied :smile:

Sell some children if you have them...if not parents, siblings, pets, acquaintances, neighbours... :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
If you want the carbon and to save a few bob, you could look at Paulscycles (in East Anglia and online) and Ashcycles (in Essex and online) for discounts on 2014 Giant models.

Shanksy

Can't advise on the difference between alloy and carbon as I've only had two bikes both carbon.

First was a focus Cato evo 6 and now a giant defy composite 1 2014

I'm quite a big guy at 6,2" and 18stone and I have to say the giant is just so much better for me. Miles more comfy as it just has more room all round and the way it rides over bumps is amazing really. Can't see how I could swap for anything but a giant but then again that's just my pref and I've not tried other bikes.

I'm interested in the defy0 but everyone keeps telling me to pay more and get a carbon frame on defy advanced 2 or 3 .

Top Bottom