Degreasers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo

Clueless member
Anyone use any degreasers that aren't your typical expensive cycling brands? I've always for years just bought degreasers from my local bike shop but I'm riding more in winter and wondered if there are any cheaper ways of buying it?

Thanks

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Petrol works a treat, if you have any in a jerry can - and its as cheap as water these days, well almost.
Very smelly though and best kept away from paint.
Try it.

modellista

Regular
I find White spirit works well, and you can buy it in super markets.

I agree with this, it's the only thing I've found that works. Fill an old plastic Chinese food box halfway with white spirit, put the chain in and leave it for a bit. The chain comes out looking sparkling. In fact it's probably too clean, need a lot of careful lubeing afterwards.

moo

Any decent quality car degreaser in 5l or larger tins. Works out cheaper and usually higher quality than the bike specific options.

I'm currently using a 5l tin of Jizer (about £20). Easily rinses off with water. Never have to worry about running out during a deep clean of all components.

Another white spirit user here, I pour some in a mug and use a toothbrush to clean the drive train. Just make sure you give the mug and toothbrush a good rinse before having a brew or cleaning your teeth (or use someone else's).

e-rider

crappy member
Anyone use any degreasers that aren't your typical expensive cycling brands? I've always for years just bought degreasers from my local bike shop but I'm riding more in winter and wondered if there are any cheaper ways of buying it?

Thanks
apart from the chain and cassette you shouldn't need it - how much are you getting through?
The cycling branded ones generally make some effort to make sure they don't damage paint work (much). Park Tool citrus degreaser is my fav!

OP
OP
Turbo

Turbo

Clueless member
apart from the chain and cassette you shouldn't need it - how much are you getting through?
The cycling branded ones generally make some effort to make sure they don't damage paint work (much). Park Tool citrus degreaser is my fav!

It's not how much I'm using its more how often I'm needing to do it. After a long ride round here my chain is gritty and the rear mech jockey wheels are clogged up. As stated above white spirit or a bulk degreaser that can be used in a tub would be ideal for me. Thanks

Hyslop

Veteran
currently using Morgan Blue, but I picked a can of this up and its pretty good
http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/wilko-citrus-400ml-degreaser/invt/0342669
I saw that the other day and wondered wha it might be like.I currently use Fenwicks products,and whilst the degreaser is pretty good,fast acting, thorough etc.it is quite expensive.Whilst I am loth to scrimp on the upkeep,I thought I might give it a try,as an aside,the Teflon lube seems acceptable enough.Wonder who makes these items?

Top Bottom