Deliberate Bad Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No idea whether it was deliberate or not but reminds me of an incident a long while back when one saw me very clearly and thought they absolutely must pull out. Made a complete mess of it, came out too fast with barely any steering, didn't make it around the corner and slammed into the kerb on the opposite site of the road at about 70 degrees. It's hard to say when things are deliberate sometimes as I've had things where I thought it was just bad and then eyes staring out of the door mirror at me and a middle finger and a laugh knowing that I'm looking at their mirrors.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It could bad driving if it was someone you know and they have a grievance with you.

Otherwise, I'd say it was careless motoring.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Deliberate IMHO. Stone or crucify him.

If a moton was driving their vehicle at me I would definitely shout, as loud as I could, to avoid being taken down.

The whole point about looking behind is not the actual looking behind itself, although it is, but that drivers approaching behind will see you are looking behind at them therefore causing them to slow and giving you a wide berth when passing. It works or used to when I regularly looked behind 2, 3, 4 times at each moton I thought might close pass or pull out.

The problem with looking back at each moton is most will ease back expecting a manoeuvre but a minority will assume that if I know they are there then it's safe to squeeze past. Personally I find a combination of looking back and using the mirror makes me "feel" safer.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
That was pretty crap driving at best. What did the police say?

They are following their standard procedure, took the details, eventually send me a statement form to fill in, I send it back then they file that completed form in the bin appropriate filing cabinet.

what a prick!!

glad you''re ok

It seems regular motoring 'skill' for a percentage of drivers in my experience. Anticipate that happening, and there is nothing unusually problematical about the event for me...move on to the next consideration. As for blasting on the horn - I wouldn't have thought about it - wouldn't make any difference to the person in the car. (A ped. would jump a bit following a quick toot though, and save you ending up in a heap - so it does have its moments! ;) )
Funny how we all see things differently. Recently, I have only seen two videos of note: Bentmikey offering himself as a gobber's target, and Origamist's manic ride ending in regret...and that's possibly because I know them both and how they can handle spit their bikes. :smile:

postman

Legendary Member
That was shocking .Is that a regular route ?.You may have to watch that junction in future

trickletreat

Veteran
Glad you reported it. I initially thought you were talking about the van, and the area of confusion in the highway code with regard to overtaking cyclists. I had the chance to speak to a driving examiner at lunchtime, and I asked him re his view. He stated quite clearly that driving instructors are supposed to teach that cyclists should be given a cars width, he went on to say that a driver should not overtake a cyclist if there is oncoming traffic.

davefb

Guru
Just watching this now, I don't know what was going on in the driver's mind but I don't think it was deliberate, they never seemed to deliberately alter their path; it just seemed like very cr@p driving to me.

i had a woman do similar to me...

but i was in my car,, so that was BEEEEP and heavy brakes.

i hate this 'pull out halfway' technique, especially when its done when theres utterly no need to,but just from habit .. i suspect he did that move, expecting to be given free way ( they expect you to flash them in a car, i tend to only when it's slow heavy traffic),, then when the bike comes up and you can't flash him,,, he just assumes you've given way and pulls across.

utterly lame..

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Must have been quite a lot of swearing as the entire video was silent from the time the moron pulled in front of you :-)

Top Bottom