Dell laptop choice question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Looking to buy daughter #2 a laptop for school.
Daughter #1 had a dell and it's now about to start bit's 3rd year of sterling service, so I'll go Dell again.

Question this time is 15" or 17"
15" (£429)
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...piron-1545?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=lthp
17" (£449)
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...nspiron-17?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=lthp

The 17" looks excellent value, but is there a downside? There is a review that says the screen is flimsy and that when you look at the centre of the screen the top and bottom fades. Heavier too.

What's the experience out there?

buddha

Veteran
Links not working for me, but I'm guessing it's the Inspiron you're looking at?

I've a Studio17" (8 months old). A bit heavy to lug around - really a desktop replacement. I did look at the inspiron (PC World) when deciding/buying and thought it felt a bit flimsy. Also the studio has a 'slot' dvd rather than a tray. So one less thing to snap off.

I take it you know about their discounts for students?

Mr Pig

If it's getting taken out of the house a lot I think that 17 is a bit big. Great in the house though, the bigger the screen the better. We have a 17 as a desktop replacement.

twowheelsgood

I'd go for the smaller one and use an external screen if you fancied a bigger screen.

Thing is 22 or 24" is standard for a (cheap) desktop screen these days anyway, so 17" is neither here nor there really.

15" is better for portability and battery life (screen requires more illumination). Also so me larger screens in notebooks I've used have had quite uneven illumination, presuambly 'cos it's more difficult to cram it into the space.

zizou

Veteran
When ordering try giving dell a call rather than ordering through their website, you can often negotiate an extra discount or a 'free' upgrade.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd go 17 inch if you can afford it. It makes a big difference. The laptop I've got is an Advent 17 inch and cost about £350 at Comet.

Mr Pig

We've got a 17 Fuji-Siemens, the screen on it is very good but it's a hit and a miss, as with screens of any size. We've had a few Dell computers etc and they've always worked well, been reliable etc but not all of the screens they put out are good. Hard when you can't see before you buy. I've seen good Dell screens and bad ones. My son has a cheap 24'' Acer display that's very good, hardly seems to be any pattern to it at all.

Top Bottom