Denis Norden RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
To be honest I probably thought he was already dead, but this is a nice obituary for a comedy stalwart who worked through the golden age of light entertainment with some of the greats.

I’m too young to remember anything other “than it will be alright on the night”. But even this show was 30 years ahead of its time. YouTube is full of this kind of stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25738224

Levo-Lon

Guru
I too thought he passed away a few years ago.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The last of that type of comedy. No swearing or foul language just to get a reaction, the whole family could enjoy.
It says much for the longevity of his output that it's appeal spanned two generations, my parents used to like all the radio shows he wrote for with Jimmy Edwards, Eric Sykes, Ted Ray and others, which I also enjoyed. He made the transition into TV and his idea for a show made up of out takes ran for years.
I always liked him more than Frank Muir who always seemed to over fond of the sound of his own voice.
Thank you for giving us so much enjoyment over the years and RIP Dennis.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
A great comic writer and, unusually for such, a man who always seemed to love what he did and be entirely comfortable in his own skin. He co-wrote, with Frank Muir, a radio programme I loved as a teen, called I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again. John Cleese as part of a sketch called John and Mary, delivered what I still regard as one of my all-time favourite lines.

Mary: John...once we had something that was pure...and wonderful...and...and good.What happened to it John?
John: You spent it all.

RIP

bluenotebob

Veteran
Mary: John...once we had something that was pure...and wonderful...and...and good.What happened to it John?
John: You spent it all.

Thank you for that - it's quite made my afternoon.

I'm glad that a few people still remember Denis Norden - he was a complete master of quirky and understated Brit humour. Priceless stuff.

RIP indeed

Top Bottom