Denmark to Stockholm - what route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ciquta

I'm planning a tour Verona-Nordkapp but no idea about what's the best route to get to Stockholm.

My guess is ferry crossing at Helsingborg then head for Orkelljunga is that right?

My priority is to avoid traffic and climbs

I'm planning a tour Verona-Nordkapp but no idea about what's the best route to get to Stockholm.

My guess is ferry crossing at Helsingborg then head for Orkelljunga is that right?

My priority is to avoid traffic and climbs

If I wanted to avoid climbs I wouldn't cross the Alps! ^_^

That's a mighty trip you're contemplating!

I have no experience of Denmark or further north but https://cycle.travel/map would be my go to resource. It will show the main international routes (EV) as well as some local ones. It's algorithm is suited to touring, I find, choosing routes with minimal traffic. Elevation detail is given too.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com is another useful resource for journals. There is a very useful map feature where you can see where other bike tourists have travelled with direct links to their journals.

Is there another way of looking at the question, though?
Instead of a route as a primary goal or "the best" what about looking at the places that interest you and looking to link them together?

For me, a route falls into place depending on such things as weather, accommodation, resupply, budget, time, and load but I always prefer going somewhere I actually want to go to rather than another checkpoint on a "route".
I've surprised myself at how much I (a hill-climbingphobe) will willingly take a mountain route because there's somewhere I want to visit up there.
On a long tour such as this it can make a difference between the ears to knock off regular goals that I want to achieve as opposed to counting down the Kms to the final destination.

Good luck and please come back to update us on progress.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
can you cycle the Oresund Bridge?

According to Google... No.... but, you can take your bike on a train, across the bridge.

Shame really, it is a very impressive structure. I can understand to a degree, no cycling, there is a tunnel, and bridge, parts of the bridge are very exposed to wind (I would imagine, I have only driven across it).

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

Is there another way of looking at the question, though?
Instead of a route as a primary goal or "the best" what about looking at the places that interest you and looking to link them together?

thanks for the infos

time is a subject here, since there's no such panoramic route in Sweden i will work the other way around: find something along the best route

i like to follow proper bike routes but eurovelo7 faffs too much around and looks like it's not really developed in Sweden, so i might work it out myself

i will work the other way around: find something along the best route

Not to be a jackass but how do you determine "the best route"?

Short of getting personal recommendations (and at the risk of over egging it) I find the routes that CycleTravel put together in strange places to be excellent. I'm currently in Spain and it is giving me treats every day. They're rarely the most direct but extremely pleasant.

Will you be travelling Verona-Noordkaap in one go? How long are you planning for?

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

"best" by the aforementioned criteria of traffic/climbs avoidance, but of course it has to be a tradeoff and I'm open to suggestions.

Goal is to get it done it in 6 weeks, I can't get more days off in a row

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

testing this Cycletravel on local routes seems alright, but on the whole trip compared to Komoot I'm getting +10% km (which is fine) but much more meters to climb

Some on-field experience from Sweden is welcomed ^_^

I've learned (the hard way) not to rely on Komoot in places I don't know.

This was the Komoot suggestion a couple of weeks ago to get to a campsite - and yes, I had selected "road cycling"^_^ That's a 14%+ gradient on a local, marked MTB trail.
IMG_20220830_162812.jpg

CT selected the same route when I expressed no preference but did not suggest this when I selected "paved only". There's a perfectly good main road available with light traffic and a generous shoulder.

Once or twice I have chosen Komoot routes over CT based on shorter distances or less climbing and regretted it every time. Not because the route wasn't enjoyable, but because I hit a dead end. Komoot is useful for searching individual addresses.

Nowadays CT can give alternative options

Osmand is a very useful app in lots of ways but especially for useful, relatable climbing info. As well as total climb it will give a breakdown of distances by gradient eg 120km 0-4%, 86km 4-8% etc. (as well as road surfaces). (It is not great at plotting bike routes, especially long distance ones but very handy in an emergency as it works offline.)
1000m climb at 8% is a very different beast to the same climb at 2%. Osmand makes this clear.

OP
OP
ciquta

ciquta

Under what setting you get this?
I've noticed Komoot gives very different results under "gravel" rather than "bike ride" setting.

Although I'm a gravel guy I find myself better server with the "bike ride" (whatever that means).

Also, you can set up the fitness level (I'm on average 2 out of 5)

Last edited:
Under what setting you get this?
Road cycling using the app.
CT selected the same route but a different one had I selected "Paved only".

I've noticed Komoot gives very different results under "gravel" rather than "bike ride" setting.
As does CT.

(As an aside I don't see "bike ride" on the app. I see touring, road, MTB, enduro MTB & gravel)

The problem with Komoot for me is that it selects very dodgy routes even in road cycling mode. It tried to kill me in Nashville, putting me onto a shoulderless high-speed 4 lane road with crazy traffic. CT gave me a longer, hillier but much more pleasant route.

Also, I suspect it "adjusts" imported routes to fit its own maps if anyone plans to use it to navigate.

No planner is going to be 100% accurate all the time and everyone has different preferences in terms of road type, surface, climbing etc. so it's really a matter of figuring out which one suits you best.
As far as I understand it, both Komoot and CT use the same underlying data but the algorithms are different. And if you need to talk to the man behind it he's already posted on this thread!

For a long route such as you are contemplating I'd break it down into sections for planning purposes.
Having said that, I planned a trip from NL to Ireland in 10 minutes on CT and discovered only one slight glitch along the way when I encountered a wall in an estate that was easy to navigate around. It was my own fault that it was out of season for a ferry to cross a canal.^_^

As I said above, I personally prefer to go to places that interest me but if I wanted a good route between two random points I'd trust CT over any other planner. Your preferences may be different.

Top Bottom