Dennis Hopper RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

He certainly had a varied life...

And he appeared in Apocalypse Now, my favourite movie.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
A good actor who appeared in loads of classic films. I thought he was great as The Deacon in Waterworld - a universally panned film, I liked it. Could have been a better innings though but for cancer. RIP Dennis.

Wolf04

Sneaked into the X rated Easy Rider when it came to the Gaumont in North Shields as a fifteen year old and have enjoyed many of his performances since. Apocolypse Now and Blue Velvet being two of his stand out films.
RIP

Noodley

Wolf04 said:
Apocolypse Now and Blue Velvet being two of his stand out films.
RIP

There were so many fantastic performances in Apocalypse Now...incredible to think that people get Oscars nowadays for putting on a good limp or crying a bit!

He was always cool in my book :becool:

RIP Dennis.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Easy rider seemed the coolest film I ever saw when it came out. On a re-showing a couple of years ago it was an embarrassing pile of crap.

Peter Fonda's bike, "Captain America", could not be ridden at more than 25mph as the extended forks made it handle like a jelly. It scared the life out of Jack Nicholson who would not get on the pillion sober.

HeyWayne

Caught a clip of Rebel Without a Cause the other day (which I've never seen) and noticed a very young looking Hopper in the background.

Who said the good die young eh?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Wolf04 said:
Apocolypse Now and Blue Velvet being two of his stand out films.
RIP
Agree, Apocolypse is also one of my favourites and I thought his part was really well acted... until I saw him being interviewed a couple of weeks ago about Art... and then I realised that his Apocolypse character is not an act!
A proper star.

Smokin Joe said:
Easy rider seemed the coolest film I ever saw when it came out. On a re-showing a couple of years ago it was an embarrassing pile of crap.

Peter Fonda's bike, "Captain America", could not be ridden at more than 25mph as the extended forks made it handle like a jelly. It scared the life out of Jack Nicholson who would not get on the pillion sober.
I always thought 'Captain America' was the name Peter Fonda took to himself, not to his bike, but I reckon the same will do for both of 'em! For some years after that film came out, there was a minor craze in 'stretched' bikes of that kind on our roads - even this side of the Atlantic - but I suppose they gradually dropped out of fashion once bikers realised they were all show and no fun to ride! When was the last time anyone saw - or rode - one on our roads? It is of note that Hopper (who was not an experienced biker) insisted that his bike, in the film, be built to a more conventional design.

Hopper? Not, I must admit, an icon to me, but his Easy Rider was certainly a revolution. I've never seen Apocalypse Now so I can't say anything about that. But I recall that he had a mischievous - comical even - side to his performances too - witness Speed: a very oddball role, I suppose he thought the same himself, but still a thoroughly enjoyable view, albeit a bit silly...:laugh:

Anyway, RIP.

What a shock.

An incredible actor notable in my book for his role in Apocalypse Now which is a staggering film only made better by his crazy character. I think I'm right in thinking that he actually did go off the wall, genuinely, playing his character in the film.

You're gonna' help him, man.

He also appeared in what I consider to be one of the greatest exchanges of all time when in True Romance he came up against Christopher Walken.

RIP.

Noodley

661-Pete said:
I've never seen Apocalypse Now so I can't say anything about that.

Get a copy. Watch it really drunk, drunk, midly pissed, sober, the really pissed again, than get so pissed you cannae watch it....then sober.

Noodley said:
Get a copy. Watch it really drunk, drunk, midly pissed, sober, the really pissed again, than get so pissed you cannae watch it....then sober.
I appreciate your tip, but really, I steer clear of films set in the Vietnam war. Can't really justify why I do - perhaps it's because it was the time when I was growing up, and the real war shattered some of my youthful illusions. With the exception perhaps of Forrest Gump which I think is brilliant.

As for your suggestion re booze....:smile:

Top Bottom