Dense car required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I currently have a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol, which serves very well. It is reasonable in all respects - room, economy, comfort, speed. It is exceptional in regards to reliability (albeit I'm comparing it to previous cars, made, amongst others, by Fiat, Alfa and Seat) Basically it suits me very well - it's utterly unexceptional but does everything I want of it pretty well, and it cost peanuts to buy and maintain too. Ideal.

However, we've been thinking of upgrading from camping to caravanning for some time now, and one stumbling block is that the Honda is not the most accomplished tug, because although it has 140bhp (not loads, but theoretically enough - I'm not looking to pull about a massive 'van, there are only 3 of us) all the torque is at the top end of the range and I fear towing with it would be painful for all concerned. On uphill bits of the A1 this week I couldn't maintain 70mph in sixth gear in the wind, and that was just with a bit of luggage and two bikes on the back. Presumably this was down to wind resistance because when we camp with the camping trailer you can't really tell that is there, but then it's only a 5ft x 3ft trailer so not exactly heavy, and it's lower down than the bike rack. Anyway, it doesn't bode well for attaching a caravan.

So, I'm looking out for something that could replace the Civic. Something that is petrol, that doesn't do horrific mpg (given that 90% of my driving is not for holidays) and would be equally as reliable and acceptably comfortable / roomy etc. The other issue I have is that I live in a terrace house and parking is tricky, so ideally I don't want anything longer than the Civic - I have to drive past enough 'not quite big enough' spaces as it is! Hence the need for a dense car - one that weighs a fair amount (for a decent ratio of car mass to caravan mass) but isn't that big. I'm also not a fan of off-roader type vehicles, but quite like the idea of 4x4. So far I've come up with the Skoda Yeti 1.4TSI 4x4 (the 4x4 adds mass too, so that's useful for two reasons) as an option, but I'm not that taken with VAG stuff and their petrol engines seem not to have the best reputation. So any other thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

gbb

Legendary Member
I used to tow a caravan, 2 adults 2 children and luggage quite acceptably with my old (then relatively new) Vectra 1.8 petrol 130hp. Yes of course petrol consumption would suffer (probably down to 30-35mpg instead of 40-50mpg) and hills you'd have to use the gears but i never ever struggled with it so i'd be surprised if a 140hp car would fare much worse.
That said, i would set off when its quiet (early hours), rarely do more than 60mph, relax and enjoy the drive. Once you get it going its ok but you wouldnt want to be stop starting all the time.
Plus i hav'nt factored in wind, i don't remember excess wind when i was towing so might have been lucky (for several years :tongue:)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A) Have you considered a browse through the Caravan Club Tow Car of the Year articles? Typically, it is 2 litre (and above) diesels which get the plaudits, but, I am sure there must be SOME petrol (or even hybrid) models in with a shout.

B) Not a Caravanner personally, but, my caravan towing, drinking pal uses a Ford C Max (Diesel), and is very pleased with it (had it about 5 years, and has roamed much of mainland Europe).

C) it may be wise to choose the caravan first (not necessarily buy it), because the weight etc of the caravan may have an impact on your choice of tow cars.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Anyone checked whether they need an additional test to tow any caravan?

Do I need a special licence to tow a caravan?

Most drivers are legally allowed to tow some form of caravan on their standard licence.

Passed your test before January 1997?

You can drive a car and trailer whose combined weight (Gross Train Weight or GTW) is below 8250kg.

Passed your test after January 1997?
You’ll need to take an additional B+E towing test if you want to drive a car and caravan whose GTW exceeds 3500kg.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Variable reliability and expensive running costs aside for an older car, the Discovery 3 and 4 always scored highly in the annual tow car ratings and is dense enough to pull pretty much anything. Get one with a fixed tow bar to avoid the risk of arriving at journey's end separately to your caravan.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Why not skip the caravanning bit altogether and upgrade to B&B / Air B&B / static caravan etc and help rid the roads of what is the menace of effing touring caravans clogging up the country's roads.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll probably need a diesel for the low down torque. You don't get heavy cars now as the weight is minimised for size, so you have to go bigger.

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve run diesel for 30 years but last year switched to petrol. The torque on modern petrols is far better than they were and maintenance a lot easier on the wallet than diesel Unless you are a high milage user.
i'm now running a 1.4 Octavia 147bhp petrol with £30/ yr tax. 60 mpg yesterday on a shopping trip. Pulling our caravan returns 29- 33 mpg depending on conditions. Caravan has MTPLM of 1180Kg and the problem is so many caravans seem to have been built with little thought of keeping the weight down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must say my son's 1.2 TSi 109 bhp Fabia shifts even in 5th on the motorway - petrol. They develop low down torque, campared to my 1.8 VVTi that needs to be spinning at about 4000 or 5000 revs for the power band.

OP needs to ask on towing forums. My wife's cross over is actually lighter than my saloon. Same width, length, but hers is much bigger in height. So cars are lighter.

I'd also recommend training. Our neighbour at our static also had a touring caravan. He towed loads as a living and drove a Shogun, in bad weather it still flipped his caravan and the Shogun. That was a beast of a towing vehicle.

Top Bottom