Dented Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not happy. I've got a nice dent in the side wall (i.e the breaking surface) of my rear wheel (Velocity Deep V rims). This is thanks to a huge pothole that I saw late and didn't quite manage to bunny hop over.

Two questions:
Anyone ever managed to knock something like this out successfully?

Anyone ever managed to get the local authority to cough up for the repair/replacement?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fit disc brakes.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you can sometimes bend the dent out with a large adjustable spanner. the sort with the flat blades.

as for challenging the LA, Good luck!

There is a site where you can report potholes, so that they get fixed. I'll pst a link later if i can find it

gavintc

Guru
joebe said:
I'm not happy. I've got a nice dent in the side wall (i.e the breaking surface) of my rear wheel (Velocity Deep V rims). This is thanks to a huge pothole that I saw late and didn't quite manage to bunny hop over.

Two questions:
Anyone ever managed to knock something like this out successfully?

Anyone ever managed to get the local authority to cough up for the repair/replacement?

A colleague has successfully got Stirling CC to pay for a new set of wheels having had the previous pair trashed in a pothole on his commute.

BTW, With a nickname like that, you cannot be from Glasgow.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
you can sometimes bend the dent out with a large adjustable spanner. the sort with the flat blades.

as for challenging the LA, Good luck!

There is a site where you can report potholes, so that they get fixed. I'll pst a link later if i can find it

www.fillthathole.org.uk

I've used it a few times - the result being the holes got filled!

completely knackered a wheel due to one - was going to claim against the local authority but didn't bother (new rim was cheap for my commuter). I do hear you need to be persistent if you do claim.

bianco

Those rims are renown for rim wall breakability!

Not the point I know but just a little warning for future.

I've reported it on the Transport for London site (it was on a Red Route, so their responsibility) so we'll see.

Bianco, surprised to hear that, I've only heard good things and I have to say that if I'd had the Ksyriums on the bike and hit the ridge on the pothole that hard I would have been walking home, as it was the Deep V was still perfectly true if a little dented.

I've decided to ditch the rim for safety's sake as it now seems Brick Lane Bikes have started to import the rims so I'll get the wheel rebuilt with a new rim.

bianco

joebe said:
I've reported it on the Transport for London site (it was on a Red Route, so their responsibility) so we'll see.

Bianco, surprised to hear that, I've only heard good things and I have to say that if I'd had the Ksyriums on the bike and hit the ridge on the pothole that hard I would have been walking home, as it was the Deep V was still perfectly true if a little dented.

I've decided to ditch the rim for safety's sake as it now seems Brick Lane Bikes have started to import the rims so I'll get the wheel rebuilt with a new rim.

Sorry to mention it, I run them myself but purely for a commuter with 100psi tyres so don't really have chance to dent them.

Have a look at the reviews on mtb review website and there's a few comments stating their weakness!

Tynan

Veteran
just used the pothole reporter and stuck in the worse two on my route

someone else reported the appalling stretch on Eversholt Street last October

hmmm

bianco said:
Sorry to mention it, I run them myself but purely for a commuter with 100psi tyres so don't really have chance to dent them.

Have a look at the reviews on mtb review website and there's a few comments stating their weakness!

I'm running 700's on a roadbike so I'm not going to worry too much about riders using them in MTBs. That said 95% of the reviews there sung their praises and only a couple complained about sidewall strength.

Danny

Legendary Member
I did once get some money out of my local authority after hitting a pothole and crashing my bike. They paid for new handlebars and repairs to my front wheel.

That was a few years ago and longer authority finances have been squeezed so much since, you might find it harder going. Having said that, I think they told me that they had insurance cover for such incidents.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Get a mtb with 2 inch wheels. Most roads bikes with their wafer thin tyres and flimsy wheels are useless given the appalling state of our roads these days.

Top Bottom