Dentists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine is a good bloke. My brother is quite good too, a dab at pulling teeth out in a jiffy as he did a fair amount of time at a Dental Hospital and a bit of maxio. stuff before going into NHS practice - NHS through and through he is, paying back the training.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Mine is a good bloke. My brother is quite good too, a dab at pulling teeth out in a jiffy as he did a fair amount of time at a Dental Hospital and a bit of maxio. stuff before going into NHS practice - NHS through and through he is, paying back the training.
You are lucky. I`m with the dental school, have been for about 3 years now. They are very gentle and accommodate me as a terrified wimp quite nicely! Still doesn`t stop me dreading every appointment for days on end beforehand............... Probably all from bad experiences years ago?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I need two molars filling, cracked corners off eating toffee, I haven't been because I can't be bothered. They do need fixing though.

midlife

Guru
You are lucky. I`m with the dental school, have been for about 3 years now. They are very gentle and accommodate me as a terrified wimp quite nicely! Still doesn`t stop me dreading every appointment for days on end beforehand............... Probably all from bad experiences years ago?

Just out of curiosity which dental school ?

Shaun

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Do a search for 'dentist' on the forum and you will find several threads where we fellow wimps have discussed this subject before!

The sadistic mistreatment inflicted on me as a 7 year old traumatised me so much that I have had a fear of dentists ever since, and I also developed a morbid fear of doctors. That is why I spent several weeks becoming more and more desperately ill but refusing help until it was almost too late.

I am going for my first dental treatment in 15 years at the start of May. I am not looking forward to it, but the dentist seemed very understanding so I'm hoping that it goes well. If it does, I am going to spend £1,000+ on getting all the outstanding work done and look after what teeth I have left!

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Do a search for 'dentist' on the forum and you will find several threads where we fellow wimps have discussed this subject before!

The sadistic mistreatment inflicted on me as a 7 year old traumatised me so much that I have had a fear of dentists ever since, and I also developed a morbid fear of doctors. That is why I spent several weeks becoming more and more desperately ill but refusing help until it was almost too late.

I am going for my first dental treatment in 15 years at the start of May. I am not looking forward to it, but the dentist seemed very understanding so I'm hoping that it goes well. If it does, I am going to spend £1,000+ on getting all the outstanding work done and look after what teeth I have left!
I`m in a similar boat to you, I hadn`t been for 15 or so years and was terrified of that first appointment, but a friend said to me "if you think you have problems watch the Jeremy Kyle show" LOL! After losing two wisdom teeth, two root canals, a few white fillings and a scrape later I`m almost there, but still find the appointments hard - I always want to cancel them at the last moment, I nearly did today, but it isn`t fair on them, they`ve got the slot for me and I need to go

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have told the dentist about my phobia, and we decided that at least for the first appointment I will have a gel to numb my gums, so I don't feel the needle which does even more numbing, and I will have nitrous oxide as well so I won't give a toss what they are doing. At least, I hope that is how it will be!

I am going to keep my eyes closed the whole time and I am also going to listen to loud music via earphones so I can't hear what is happening. Vibrations through the skull might worry me but if the music is loud and upbeat enough then perhaps they won't ... :whistle:

I have had a few people make fun of me because of this phobia, but those same brave people are frightened to go downhill on a bike at more than about 25 km/hr, so yah boo to them - I am happy to do 90+ km/hr! :laugh:

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I have told the dentist about my phobia, and we decided that at least for the first appointment I will have a gel to numb my gums, so I don't feel the needle which does even more numbing, and I will have nitrous oxide as well so I won't give a toss what they are doing. At least, I hope that is how it will be!

I am going to keep my eyes closed the whole time and I am also going to listen to loud music via earphones so I can't hear what is happening. Vibrations through the skull might worry me but if the music is loud and upbeat enough then perhaps they won't ... :whistle:

I have had a few people make fun of me because of this phobia, but those same brave people are frightened to go downhill on a bike at more than about 25 km/hr, so yah boo to them - I am happy to do 90+ km/hr! :laugh:
I always have the anaesthetic gel, it`s standard practice. I got quite good at imagining that I`m somewhere else, it is needed when there is a needle stuffed in your gum!! Didn`t know about the nitrious oxide, I might mention that...LOL!

People that make fun of you? Tell them to p*ss off. I know how fear of the dentist feels, believe me - I`m a pro on the subject

Top Bottom