Dentists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I had a few bad experiences as a child which led to odontophobia . At one point it was so bad that I avoided walking down two local streets because there were dentists there!
I've always made myself take the children, but I couldn't even sit in the chair with them.
Avoiding going at all costs led to huge problems and when I finally got myself to go it cost close to £2000 to have everything put right.
Be open and upfront with your dentist, explain your fears, and a good dentist will work with you.
Good luck to anyone taking that first step.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've had tooth ache for about a week. However if I go to the dentist, he'll say my teeth are a mess and then book in a long programme of work (i'm missing at least two crowns and have 3 broken teeth) and I can't be bothered. If I take painkillers for a while longer, the tooth will eventually die and the pain will go away.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Or you'll develop an abcess in your jaw, which will eat away at the bone and you'll end up facing major surgery with one of midlife's colleagues (or even @midlife himself).

Get yourself sorted man!
Loving your glass half full approach!!!! :smile:

I'll go and see the horrible man tomorrow if it's still an issue.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Nothing worse than an abcess, I had one a couple of years ago, it was the first time pain has made me cry since I was a kid:eek:. Seriously - you don`t want one

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nothing worse than an abcess, I had one a couple of years ago, it was the first time pain has made me cry since I was a kid:eek:. Seriously - you don`t want one
I've had abcesses before, hence a few of my teeth are dead (root canalled). I had one when I was at university (bear with me on this). The lift in my Halls wasn't working properly and stopped a couple of inches above the floor. The shortened space coupled with the drop resulted in my banging the top of my head and a short drop which made my lower jaw rise up and hit my upper jaw with some force. People all along the floor heard my scream.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I've had abcesses before, hence a few of my teeth are dead (root canalled). I had one when I was at university (bear with me on this). The lift in my Halls wasn't working properly and stopped a couple of inches above the floor. The shortened space coupled with the drop resulted in my banging the top of my head and a short drop which made my lower jaw rise up and hit my upper jaw with some force. People all along the floor heard my scream.
:eek:

vickster

Legendary Member
I now go private. I now see a personable, pleasant, attentive, thorough and gentle dentist. The NHS dentist I used to see was ok but always seemed rushed. He left and the unpleasant and unfriendly guy who replaced him had none of the qualities listed above. Hence the change.

I now pay a monthly fee for two proper checks and two hygienist sessions a year. Yes it costs more but my teeth get the attention they deserve given I need them to last a while yet!

ayceejay

Guru
I was about 13 years old and i went to the dentist to have a tooth removed. The dentist was in a hurry so he injected the cocaine or what ever it was back then and immediately yanked the tooth out. It was agony. I was walking home when the 'cocaine' kicked in and the pain stopped. When i went to the doctor with a sore throat a while later I physically couldn't open my mouth for him to put the lolly stick in.

Top Bottom