Dervla Murphy RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some sad news from the world of bike touring but I've just discovered that Dervla Murphy passed away at the good old age of 90.
A contrariarn as well as a remarkable bike tourist and traveller of all sorts now would be a good time to recommend (again) her book "Full Tilt" about her remarkable journey to India. For me, the most notable place was Afghanistan, a place where few fear to tread these days.

Some more info here (may be behind a paywall)
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...urous-life-at-the-edge-dies-aged-90-1.4885949

RIP

I've literally just finished reading her first book "Full Tilt" and am planning on reading more of her books, the way she describes things is quite unique and not like other travel writers I've tried. It took me a while to realize whenever she said 'we' when she was on her own, she was actually referring to herself and Roz her bicycle.

Theres a nice interview with her here: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/jan/24/dervla-murphy-travel-writer-interview-full-tilt

tothehills

can anyone tell me if she's a good writer.
Despite some folks' admirable adventures, some of them aren't.
Read one or two Josie Drew's (is that her name? - mindfog) and found her style very clunky.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
From 1956 I believe (shamelessly ripped from the Web)
Dervla Murphy 1956.jpg

Read one or two Josie Drew's (is that her name? - mindfog) and found her style very clunky.

Her books are wonderful - well-written and warm. I started reading her when I was 16, with Full Tilt, and still enjoy her books enormously. I think my favourites are the ones where she travels with a mule - Peru and Ethiopia.

HelenD123

Guru

I found the second half of Full Tilt much better written than the first half. It felt like she'd kept more comprehensive notes as she went along.

I found the second half of Full Tilt much better written than the first half. It felt like she'd kept more comprehensive notes as she went along.

I'm sure she mentions at some point she only started the letters some time after she set out, she wasn't keeping a journal at first it's all from letters she wrote to people back home.

I found out yesterday Full Tilt (which ends rather abruptly!) is considered the first of a trilogy and is followed by Tibetan Foothold and then with The Waiting Land: A Spell in Nepal.

Top Bottom