Descending - Tips appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hopey

I seem to always chicken out when descending. Mostly it's because of blind corners or bends, and I'm wary of traffic, junctions, or walls. But even when I have a straight, clear descent, I find myself (rather dangerously) being overly hands on with the brakes.

Any tips for descending and to an extent, cornering at speed?

Katherine

Guru
Practice descending on a familiar road and get to know the stopping distances of your bike at different speeds and conditions so you know that you will be able to stop.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
You should only go at the speed you're comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable and safe, then you're going too fast. Don't try to push it, your comfort zone will gradually extend and you'll feel safer with a bit more speed.
Try googling "vanishing points". It's a technique which helps in reading the road ahead and matching speeds with the road geography.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Think of all the free energy you're wasting when you brake. Partly, it's gaining basic confidence in your handling skills.

I used to ride a big steep hill every Sunday morning, and carve down the big blind bends on a well practiced line. One time I met a car coming around the blind corner on my side of the road. Fortunately I had enough safety factor to dodge the idiot.
Racers are riding on closed roads, the rest of us need to keep some traction in reserve for such events.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
As others have said go at the pace you feel comfortable with. There is no point being scared off your saddle just to gain a few seconds or minutes. Just as with driving if someone is pelting it down in front of you there is no need to feel pressured to match their speed.

Personally I only go as fast as that I can stop in the distance I can see. Boring perhaps but I work in a hospital and would get no end of ribbing if I turned up in A&E.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I seem to always chicken out when descending. Mostly it's because of blind corners or bends, and I'm wary of traffic, junctions, or walls. But even when I have a straight, clear descent, I find myself (rather dangerously) being overly hands on with the brakes.

Any tips for descending and to an extent, cornering at speed?
If that's your bike in your avatar, it looks like you have flat pedals. It may not be right for all of us, but you might feel more solidly attached to your bike clipped in. At speed, cleats can help you feel safer and more secure. (I can't think of a single time that they're difficult apart from at slow enough to fall over times.) As for the road hazards you mentioned, don't stop keeping any of them in mind!

On the other hand, not everyone enjoys the very direct sensation of speed on a bike. If you don't enjoy it, don't worry about it. Cycle at the speeds you enjoy.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Follow other riders always helps so you get to know the best lines, but if your ride leader says take it easy then listen and dont tear off down a twisty descent and end up head over heels when you dont make a bend , not as i ever have done anything like that ....

Top Bottom