Descending

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
I'm a reasonably quick descender I think (that'll be a mass/gravity thing!) and I've passed you (Martin) on downhills a few times. Having seen how you go, I'd say it's 90% a confidence problem, 10% technique. So, my advice would be to follow someone else to see the lines they use and how they regulate speed before the corner (not through the corner), building it again on the way out. And try the same descent a few times in quick succession to boost confidence. Up and down Toys Hill north side would do it. Also, pressing down on the outside pedal really does work. With respect to gravel, I've learned that you can't fight it so no sudden direction changes whilst on it, and it's best to let the front wheel find its own way, then correct as best you can after you're clear. That way you at least stand some chance of not hitting the deck. And as Moodyman says above, sit well back in the saddle, but keep your weight over the pedals. That'll help keep the rear wheel planted on the road.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
You've probably passed me every time on a downhill Ross. Strangely enough the north side of Toys Hill is one of a handful I can cope with (Shooters Hill being another) largely due to familiarity. The south side of Toys would give me the heebie jeebies though as does Westerham Hill. It is all to do with confidence (hence the request not to be told to relax!). The south side of Toys is actually a case in point though, lots of rain debris and a poor surface and yet I see people flying down it. I just don't get how they do it without ending up in a heap somewhere.

I already do the pedal thing when cornering on the flat at speed and I agree it does give more grip (as well as keeping long cranks away from the road!)

lukesdad

You have further to fall Martin I'd be wary 'an all. On the drops, and single digit braking are the skills to master.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm a reasonably quick descender I think
I think he's a reasonably quick descender too, with a gift for understatement.

We could all do a lot worse than follow Ross' wheel tracks downhill, I certainly had to work to keep up with Ross on the run down to the River Derwent by the Derwent Manor Hotel on LonJOG, and very few pass me on the downhills.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
1961828 said:
I can't believe this has got as far as it has without anyone offering Sean Yates' advise on the subject. Keep your hands away from the brakes so you don't get tempted to use them.

To put that another way, MTFU. It's not like you have looks to worry about.
I might damage my ears!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1961828 said:
I can't believe this has got as far as it has without anyone offering Sean Yates' advise on the subject. Keep your hands away from the brakes so you don't get tempted to use them..
Brakes is for stopping.

zigzag

Veteran
the way i do and it sort of works: pedals at 3 and 9, arse above and behind the saddle in the air, thighs clenching the saddle (and unweighing if the road gets bumpy), arms stretched out to the front slightly bent. brake only when you are going straight, i.e. before the turn, and if needed only gently feather the brakes mid turn. braking hard during the turn is a recipe for disaster, as Cancellara showed us few days ago. one thing i fear when descending is that some animal can decide to run into your front wheel. few years ago i had a close encounter with a horse(rider), who stepped into the country lane from a hidden bridleway after a blind turn and i was descending straight into them! somehow managed to avoid them, but horse nearly bolted, horserider was scared and shouted abuse, i almost had brown chamois moment - not an experience i'd want to repeat! only go fast if you can see well ahead, take care :thumbsup:

Top Bottom